Feb 17, 2008

Stuff From My First Trip

So, I had my first recruiting trip to a PhD program. I went to East Lansing, MI, to visit Michigan State University. It was a very pleasant trip. Here are a few revelations I had, and things I did. My mother in-law has serious moral problems with my socks, and the fact that many of them have holes in the bottoms of them. Well, when I took off my shoes at the airport, I noticed that they had some holes. So, I made Michigan a little pleasanter place by leaving my socks in the garbage can at the Marriott. Speaking of the Marriott, it is always nice to stay there, and peek in the drawer, and see the Book of Mormon right there next to the Gideon Bible. It would be interesting to hear how it worked out how all the rooms got a Book of Mormon, and if there have been any conversion stories of weary travelers being touched and then finally converting. Anyways, here it is. So, at the hotel, they had both facial soap and body soap (something common for hotels, but, I digress). So, I opened both up, and used both, and they seemed very similar. So, I looked at the box more closely, and on the end of the box was written "bath size" and "facial size". It was merely just two sizes of soap. What silliness. Lastly, all the 5 different planes I flew on had different sizes of seat belts, but, this one was a little disconcerting. I can't get much fatter before I would have to ask for some sort of belt extender. I am pretty portly. So, that was that. One other thing that was very interesting is one of the other interviewees knew a significant amount about me, and claimed to have read my blog (for all I know, this person will read this post.) I thought it was interesting the amount of information I give out about myself on this blog, especially in the position I am where I am trying to sell myself to so many different people. So, that is that. I don't really intend to change anything. I just recognize that this is all out there for the world to see, and I write accordingly. So, I guess if someone has something against people who are almost too fat for the seat belt of some planes, this post will alert them to that fact about me, and they can react accordingly. Similarly, if they don't like people who use electric mixers to fix pens, then they will know to avoid me.

1 comment:

the firths said...

so- while i was intrigued with your recent discoveries of facial soap, fat seatbelts, and sock disposal opportunities, i want to hear more about the campus visit! or perhaps, by focusing on these events, you HAVE implicitly shared your opinion of MSU. either way, it was great to see you. good luck with the next round of visits. may your airport trips be filled with continual technological discoveries.