Feb 24, 2008
The Lion King
So, Stacey and I watched Mary Poppins a couple weeks ago, and I was amazing at the messages it carried regarding feminism, true womanhood, the role of the father, the role of capital markets, and so on and so forth. I thought about it the whole week, and intended to blog about it, but, I didnt.
Two nights ago, Stacey and I watched the Lion King, and I noticed something interesting, and I said to myself, "Self, you should blog about that," and so I am going to.
Here is a picture (I took of the TV screen, so the quality is bad) of Simba, when he is being presented to all the other animals:
Here is a picture of Simbas son, when he is also being presented.
Do you notice a difference? Yes. You did. Simba's son does not have the stuff on his forehead, meaning, he was not baptized by Rafiki as was his father. In the end, the Lion King ends up being about a society that overcame a problem so well on its own, they grew too sophisticated for baptism. Shame. (Either that, or, they did away with infant baptism. Who knows.)
Also, I just noticed, Rafiki's hands are competly different, as are the colors used on the baby lion. I wonder if they decided to add the last scene late, and had to get different artists. Hmmmmmmm. Any thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Maybe the change in Rafiki's hands represent a subtle shift in our preferred clergy. Abandoning the church (represented by thin, feeble, almost evil-looking fingers) the new order has its own priests (with stronger, supple fingers) who have no need for ordinances and out-of-date religious conventions.
That is probably true. Or, clergy so good at selling religious wares are able to engorge themselves on food bought with their ill-gotten gains. The selling of salvation perverts the priests, who grow fat on food bought with unholy funds.
Or there is the outside possibility that it is just a cartoon and no one cared about the hands detail after the father had accepted his responsibility
and returned to take care of his mother and other family members, creating a life for his own family to follow
disney is never just a cartoon. they've always got some underlying message to spin. they're creepy
So, when Mark and Cristin bless their baby, Mark is going to "Simba-it". And by that he means that he will hold his baby up the same way that Rafiki holds the baby lions up to show everyone after the blessing. Haha.
Post a Comment