Feb 3, 2008

$100,318 per year

So, yesterday I saw a link to Forbes magazine and their list, the wealthiest counties in the nation. I was doing homework, and, always eager for a distraction, I clicked on the link and read the article. Click here for the article. So, it turns out that Stacey's home county, Fairfax, VA, is the wealthiest county in the US, with a median household income of $100,318 per year. I had seen it on other lists before, but never unabashedly at the top, looking down at all other counties that dared step in its path. As of 2000, so a slightly older statistic, my home county, Caribou County, ID, had a mean household income of $37,609. This really is significant, in that it backs up a lot of the differences between Stacey and I. Although the income of our parents is not that different, the income of our peers and community as a whole is very different. I would suggest that the way we view spending, gift giving, traveling, and our basic views on money are affected by this. It is interesting to consider these differences, and then consider that we are doing just fine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Explain: "....it backs up a lot of the differences between Stacey and I."

Jeff said...

Sure

"it backs up" a colloquial term used in english usually used to denote support of, or sustaining of.

"a lot of" many of, meaning a significant number more than 0

"the differences" things that are not the same

"between" when comparing two different things, a word used to indicate what two things you are talking about

"Stacey and I" Stacey, a reference to my wife, Stacey Lea Hoopes, and I, a reference to myself, Jeff Lamro Hoopes.