Feb 17, 2008
MSU
So, I have written several posts on the ancilary activities of my trip to Lansing, but nothing about my actual interviews (all 8 of them). First, before I begin this, I would like to thank Br Fi and Da Fi and Li Fi for their hospitality and congeniality in sharing an evening with me showing me around campus, DeWitt, and East Lansing. It was very pleasant to chat with them and spend some time with them.
Interestingly, it also reminded me that it was Br Fi that introduced me to Tony Chacheras cajun seasoning. I eat so much of that stuff. That changed my life forever.
Anyways, about MSU. I was very impressed with MSU, with the friendliness of the faculty and with how much they seem to interact with students. That is important to me, and I think I would be very happy going to MSU if that is where I was supposed to end up.
On the flip side, and in full knowledge that the people deciding whether or not they are going to extend me an offer are able to read this post, MSUs traditional placements of graduates have not been amazing or steller. They are, however, getting much better, as the program is changing a lot and getting significantly better quickly. That was probably my biggest concern.
However, in the end, I think if I have several great papers co-authored with the friendly faculty there (as well as the 5-6 decent papers I hope to have with BYU faculty), I think that along with my good looks will be enough to get me a job where I want to be. But, I dont know. Like I told many people, it is hard to have an informed opinion when you lack information, and since MSU is the first place I have visited, I dont really have much to compare it to. However, I did feel very comfortable there, and could very well see myself interacting with the faculty there for the next 5 years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
JeHo, St.Ho, and JaHo- We hope that once you've got all your other comparisons weighed in, MSU still ranks how it does right now! And JaHo- congrats on rolling over, my friend.
I'm glad that you still have some spice left in your life, and that you liked MSU. If you moved there I would need to think of a good reason to move out there with you and the Firth family.
Post a Comment