On the way up to my friend's wedding at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building on Temple Square a couple weeks ago, we took a detour over in the foothills to visit This is the Place Historical Park. For those that don't know, this is a park with a few memorials to commemorate the pioneers who entered the Salt Lake Valley, specifically those in the first company of saints who traveled with Brigham Young and arrived July 24, 1847. Here is the story:
On July 24, 1847, at the mouth of Emigration Canyon, Brigham Young, the stalwart Mormon leader, lifted himself up from a sick bed in his wagon to view the Great Salt Lake Valley. After a few moments of deep contemplation, he uttered the now-famous statement, “It is enough. This is the right place. Drive on.” - (This is the Place Heritage Park website)
From where we stood near the monument it was as if we were seeing what the pioneers saw (even though there is a lot in the valley now, and when they came it was completely desolate). Though we were only there for a couple of minutes, I was deeply moved at the thought of their sacrifice, as I have been many times before. I thought especially of the mothers who crossed the plains and wonder how they did it. Many buried children along the trail west but somehow managed to press forward and endure faithfully because they knew of the bigger plan for eternity. I'd never been to the park before so I enjoyed our short visit.
Here we are by the monument built in 1947 by Brigham Young's grandson, Mahonri Young.
1 comment:
Never been there, but always wanted to go.
Post a Comment