A Vote for Rocky
I do have to differ strongly on one opinion offered in Mr. Walker's viewpoint piece (May 21, "'Rudy' is cream of the sports movie crop"), and that is that "Rocky" is merely a film about "mentally slow boxers." This is utterly false. Most of the Rocky films contain fabulous analogies for life (like most of the films that made the list) and are worth watching multiple times. Besides, who doesn't love the famous line from a battered, bloodied, and bruised Italian Stallion: "Adrian!!!"?
In our family, we watched "Rocky" the night before my husband took the GMAT, and the musical theme to Rocky may or may not have been sung by my husband while I was delivering our son eight months ago.
And, for the record, Sylvester Stallone does a much better job in "Rocky" than Dennis Quaid did in "Miracle." But I do think that Kurt Russell was great as Coach Herb Brooks, if that is who you were really referring to.
Stacey Hoopes Herndon, Va.
Because just writing the letter wouldn't be very exciting, I guess I should mention that it was printed in Thursday's newspaper. I'm almost as famous as those two Davids that happened to make the front page!! :)
And, after all these years out here, and being a Utah resident now, I still paid homage to my original home state in my signature. This brings a song to mind that I will share here, written by James Bland, an African-American musician and songwriter, many moons ago. I did read that this is no longer the official state song, as of 11 years ago, but I somehow missed the memo. And no, I never learned this in school, as you can probably see why.
2 comments:
yay stace! brilliant response. i laughed really hard. the girls around me asked why i just started cracking up. i do love dennis quaid though. probably more than i like kurt russell. although i really like overboard. but i am rambling.
Well Stac, when I started reading this I thought Jeff had written it and I was really excited to see; 1 I knew what he was talking about (he uses to many big words for me) and 2 we agreed on something. Please write one more letter to the paper and tell the author to watch more movies, wow, what a list of dung. Rudy is the best, and I like the Titans but the Ducks. Only at BYU
Post a Comment