Oct 8, 2007

Diaper Rash and Parenthood

So last night at about 1:30 or so, I was putting Jacob to bed. I had just finished topping him off with a bottle and I was very tired. He seemed to be slowly going to sleep, when all the sudden, I heard a familiar noise come from Jacob's tail end. I thought to myself, "I am sure it is just gas. There is no way he could have a dirty diaper." I rationalized that I did not need to check it, that it was not dirty, and that it would be alright. I was too tired, and I knew he would be back to being wide awake if I stripped him down to check.
Well, about 4:00 this morning, I was woken up by Jacob little whimpering, and I went and checked on him. I checked his diaper, and it was very messy, so I started to change it. I noticed that a good portion of his tail end was very red, and when I wiped it, he cried much louder than usual. I knew that he had been wearing that dirty diaper for too long, and had a diaper rash.
Now, diaper rash is something common among babies. However, it really hit me hard that it had been ME that caused his diaper rash. Because of my weakness, my wanting to sleep, and my laziness, my son was experiencing real physical pain. It really made me think. As parents, what we do has a real affect upon our children. If we do not do what we are supposed to do, we really can damage them. And, while with a little Butt Paste diaper rash is cured, moral, intellectual, educational, and social damage that lazy and bad parenting can cause a child is irreparable. Children suffer severely every day because of their parents. I decided I would not be one of those parents, and Jacob would not be one of those children.

5 comments:

Amy and Jeff said...

Hi Hoopes!

Britt just told us about your blog and we were so excited to see pictures of sweet little Jacob. Now we can keep up on you even though you've gone from the ward! Our blog is http://theparkerzarker.blogspot.com

Amy and Jeff Parker

Aimee said...

I've done this before, and it's just an honest mistake. I felt really guilty about it too, but you have to remember that you can't be too hard on yourself. You're human - of course, you NEED your sleep at this changing time in your life, so it's o.k. that something like this happened to little Jacob. If it was a recurring thing, then it would be a problem, but for now, I'd say you're doing awesome at being a first-time mom!

Jeff said...

Moms and dads post here.

stacey said...

But only moms enter contests on other people's blogs and leave comments for the contests, so one could easily be misled.

Jeff said...

Also, there is a big difference between commentary and confession and between a tale and a thought.