Today, the effectual leader of the Legislative branch of the most powerful nation on earth came to our campus to talk. Further, the member of the LDS church with the highest political position came
. It was the same person - Harry Reid. This was announced on the BYU website, there were fliers, and President Samuelson announced it last week at the well attended dance devotional. However, more people showed up to the Dance Devotional than to hear Senate Majority Leader Reid.
We should be ashamed. In this world where values are challenged, where morality is debated, and where evil is seen as good, and good as evil, people of morals have an obligation to know what is going on, to be informed, and to be interested. If there is one reason why this county is headed to hell in a hand basket it is because of apathy, indifference, and inaction, and today, BYU students demonstrated they excel in all three areas. Shame.
1 comment:
I read your title thinking you meant shame on BYU for inviting Reid. I'm glad you didn't mean that. I agree with your sentiments exactly. I work at BYU, and several of my fellow employees harumphed that they weren't going to waste their time on some left-wing wacko.
This is a weak, unthinking, and dangerous position for members of the LDS church to take. I was at the Marriott Center, and I wished more of "us" had been. It was a great speech, despite the fact that I disagreed with some (not all) of his political views.
Harry Reid is a good man.
Post a Comment