- We currently read one column from the Book of Mormon to our children each night before bed. It is part of our bedtime routine. There have been times when Jacob's reminded us to read when we've done things out of order, and Rebecca will bring the scriptures to me or Jeff when we are ready to read. I love that they know it is something to look forward to.
- It is important for children to hear the language of the scriptures in their own voice, even if they can't read yet. I don't do it as often as I'd like to (let's face it, sometimes we are in a hurry), but it is great for Jacob to be able to help me read. Jeff or I will read a phrase; Jacob repeats it back.
- Paraphrasing verses after you read them is a great way to get in the habit of really helping kids understand what you are reading.
- If you have a child named Jacob, he will request almost nightly that you read his name while you are reading scriptures. Sometimes I throw it in randomly just to see that he is listening, but it is nice how often it just shows up. :)
Other things we've done:
- We have read a book mentioned in Gordon B. Hinckley's biography (because his mother read it with him when he was a boy) called Mother Stories from the Book of Mormon. The language is a little funny in some parts, just because it is older, but it makes the scriptures into more of a bedtime story. And we all know that kids like stories!
- We've gone through many (I'd say nearly all) of the pictures in the Gospel Art Picture Kit and the new Gospel Art Book during a post-lunch/pre-naptime routine that we called Picture Time. During dinner Jacob would talk about what he learned for Picture Time with Jeff. It worked really well last summer and fall when Jacob was more consistently napping; this is something I would like to be more diligent about now - maybe during breakfast? Picture Time was a huge success, and gave me practice in summarizing scripture stories for a toddler and a preschool-aged child.
- Reading the scripture stories books is also something my children have enjoyed. Have you listened to the Scripture Stories radio channel before? Children can read along in your book with the children on the program.
This book will help you teach the scriptures. Share your testimony of the Book of Mormon [or Bible], and encourage those you teach to seek their own testimonies. Their understanding will grow as you read them the full text of their favorite stories from the Book of Mormon [or Bible] itself.
I don't want to sound like I'm ending a Church talk or something, but I sincerely hope that we can expose our children to the scriptures themselves in such a way that works for them, is developmentally appropriate, and that allows them to enlarge their understanding of the Lord's word and how it can apply to their lives today.
Please take a moment to share your suggestions!
PS Did you enter the giveaway? I'll choose a winner on April 1st. Odds are looking pretty good so far! :)
2 comments:
Love these ideas. Funny story about the children's scripture story books. For some reason our 4 year old is really aware of modesty. She doesn't get much out of the picture scripture stories because she is so concerned that so many people are not dressed modesty. It is pretty cute, but doesn't work for learning the scriptures. And the gospel Art SCARES her and she starts telling stories about death and terror. The good ol' Book of Mormon is the way to go for her!
Having a husband that is gone most of the time makes me very tired and frazzled by bedtime. Most nights we don't get our family scripture study in before I put the 2 little ones in bed. I do, however, try to read at least one verse with the boys and then we talk about what it means. Some of my favorite moments (of all time) have been from that scripture study. I love to see what they understood, talk to them about what it means, and then reread the verse. There isn't a better way to teach them the Gospel or help them feel the Spirit in their lives! Thanks for posting this - I think we'll try to do better at getting the little ones involved!
Post a Comment