Mar 10, 2011

Where to get books...


A comment about not owning many novels/books and getting dozens from the library made me think about just how many books we have that I never touch. It also made me think about how many different places there are to get books (which may be why I can't seem to keep any shelf organized!).  Feel free to chime in with any thoughts you have to share about this list. And maybe if you like having loads of books around (I'm not sure in what camp I am in yet, because most days it feels like I have far too many to handle but it might just be the whole living in a small space thing!), this list will give you some good ideas instead of just making you shake your head at me.

  • Discounted books from half.com or ebay or elsewhere
  • Thrift stores or consignment shops
  • Birthday gifts or gifts for another occasion
  • Books at well-child exams at the doctor's office. At least at our Dr.'s office in Ann Arbor anyways.
  • Yard sales
  • In our city there is a guy that runs a once a month event called the Quarter Book Sale at this warehouse-type place. We went for the first time last month and found some great things. All I can say is that it's likely good they aren't open every week. 
  • People giving books away
  • Buying a new book: book orders, book store, other store, airport...I had to put that in because I am ashamed I ever bought a book before I hopped on a plane. I think I've done it twice. Pricey. 
  • Doing a book swap with friends, either with books you are all wanting to get rid of or just borrowing each others' books
  • Borrowing from the library

So - are you like me and an owner of many books and borrower of still more books?  Or are you someone who doesn't keep a ton of owned books around, whether because of space/money limitations or just because that's what you prefer? Have you found any gems at a great deal?  I'll post soon about one of my most recent children's finds!

3 comments:

RyanSarahN said...

Despite our space/money limitations we love books here! We've got a big collection of books, most of them from thrift stores, and unless they get totally trashed, that's one thing I won't easily get rid of, even when we move and get rid of lots of other things. I love having a good selection for Cora, and soon, Elijah.

Jeff said...

I know many people who steal books (unfortunately, often from me). I am still looking for my copy of A Grief Observed. But, I guess theft is an option.

Sara said...

Our house is bursting with books! We joke about running out of shelf space (although be already have...just check the closets). ;) We also visit 3 different library branches on a weekly basis. We're book-obsessed in no small way.