Here is a short excerpt from my Master's project related to this very topic:
Pinnell (2002) states that, during reading, “the teacher interacts and supports” (p. 170). As with prereading instruction, suggestions for activities used during reading instruction are varied, so there are many ways a teacher can interact and support students’ reading while it is happening. Correctly, Dowhower (1999) refers to this as the “active reading” stage of reading instruction, and points out the need for students to have a defined purpose for reading, to monitor their own levels of understanding and to develop awareness about a story’s content (p. 673).
With older children you can have them read a page on their own, you can do oral reading together out loud, you can read silently and then discuss. With my son Jacob I've found that when we are reading a book he knows well it is fun to change words sometimes and have him correct me, but since I am not always in the business of confusing my child I don't do that often. With rhyming books he loves to fill in the blanks at the end of a phrase to guess the rhyming word. Activities done during reading to engage readers and support them in a shared experience can be fun and interactive. What ideas do you have related to this?
1 comment:
Sometimes if the charavter is misbehaving I'll ask if what the person is doing is right or wrong and why. If I think that she knows what a better option is I'll ask what the character should have done. It really gets my kids thinking.
Post a Comment