Mar 30, 2008

Rich Dad, Poor Dad

So, last summer, I listened to “Rich Dad, Poor Dad,” and was generally unimpressed. It is one of these books that are supposed to contain the secret to getting rich. These types of books target audiences who have no understanding of money, finances, or the way things work in the market. They give out all sorts of advice that anyone with half a brain knows, and then package it really nicely. Anyways, I am generally against these types of books. Not only are the often factually inaccurate, they are misleading, and I believe, dishonest. (Click here for another author of these same type of books case against Rich Dad, Poor Dad.)

Well, I am now much, much more against this specific series, the Rich Dad series, because of an ad I saw on hotmail yesterday, shown above.

As Nibley said in his AMAZING speech Leaders and Managers "The things of the world and the things of eternity cannot be thus conveniently conjoined," especially for making money. Persons who do this sort of thing are no better than the New Testament sorcerer Simon Magus, who tried to "include 'the gift of God' in a business transaction (see Acts 8:9-24). Not only is this book dishonest, stupid, and a peddler of ridiculous half truths meant to give hope to the financially illiterate, but they participate in priestcraft. This made me sick, and I lost several minutes looking at their website to try to find an e-mail address to complain. Not finding one, I am posting my complain here. In the end, I would put these purveyors of this get-rich-quick garbage in the same category as pornographers, payday loaners and summer sales companies—companies I would love to see disappear.

2 comments:

Mark and Cristin said...

I agree 100% - it's sad to say though that so many people believe in this stuff and get addicted to the nonsense contained within. Riches come with time and hard work, not overnight like these books will have you believe.

the firths said...

I wanted to report that those automatic plastic toilet seat cover dispensers are also present at... the Montgomery Alabama airport. Who knew.