Mar 15, 2008

Books

So, I have again fallen a little behind in writting about the books I have finished. Sharing Good Times by Jimmy Carter Basically, Jimmy Carter talks about all the fun things he has ever done in his life. Not too terribly great, but interesting enough not to turn it off. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway This is a classic, and I liked it as much this time as I did when I read it last time. If you have not read it, find it and read it. It is about an old man and the sea, the story of an old Cuban fisherman who catches a big fish, then the fish is eaten by sharks before he gets back home. It is great. Letters from Children by C.S. Lewis I got a $10 gift card to the BYU goodstore that was good for a week, so, along with some other stuff I didnt need, I bought this book. It is, exactly like it says, just a collection of many letters that C.S. Lewis wrote to the children who admired his books. It was a great book, and obviously very easy and quick to read. I learned a new trick. Usually on airplanes I just have my computer, and during take-off and landing, I just sit. But, in my trip to Iowa, I finished this book just in the times when you are not allowed to have electronics on. I think finding a short and pleasant book will become a traveling tradition. IBM and the Holocaust: The Strategic Alliance between Nazi Germany and America's Most Powerful Corporation So, this book was exactly what the title talks about, just all about IBMs involvment with the Nazis. It turns out that it took an amazing amount of computing power to do what the Nazis did, and IBM provided that computing through punchcard technology. In the end, it is written kind of like I would imagine an anti-Mormon book would be written (and how Nibley describes them in his great talk, How to Write an Anti-Mormon Book)--sensatinal, pushing the envelope, and obviously exagerating. But, it was interesting enough not to stop in the middle. So, as you can see, I am kind of scraping the bottom of the bucket as far as books, and would appreciate any good suggestions.

6 comments:

Myrna said...

I am wondering where in the world you come up with these titles. I could spend all day in a bookstore and not even notice this one.

Jeff said...

Which one?

Mark and Cristin said...

I am very impressed, I only read about 1 book a year if I am lucky, where do you find the time?? Also - loved the video you guys emailed me about the subprime markets, hilarious.

Jeff said...

Most of these books I listen to, as opposed to read (one of these I read, the others I listened to). If you keep track, you will probably notice that between driving places, walking around, and doing things that require no thought, there is at least an hour of listening time per day. Go to the library, and check out books on CD, and listen to them.

Erin said...

Yay reading! I decided to give it a try. I'm pretty good at it. :)
This week I read Twilight and The Five People You Meet in Heaven (again). I think you might have read the latter of the two, but the first one is kind of a teen-girl book. You might not be so interested. ;)However, my most FAVORITE book of all time is Made in America by Bill Bryson. I think you would really like that one.

the firths said...

Try 'Better Off', by Eric Brende.
Yale/MIT graduate decides to live with highly minimized technology and no electricity for a year. I think you'd thoroughly enjoy it.