Apr 20, 2008

Wolverines

So, we have previously mentioned we are moving to Michigan. There have been several questions posed to us: 1. Isn't it cold in Michigan? 2. Why so far away? 3. Are you excited to come back to Utah afterwards? 4. What about all the crime in Michigan? I shall answer these questions in order. 1. It is somewhat cold. However, just like every big city likes to think it has the worst traffic in the world, many cities like to think they are cold. Checking the weather indicates that the January low is, on average, about 17 degrees . Soda Springs, ID, where I am from, has an average of 8.9 degrees low in January. I guess it is silly, but I just don't like to feel like a victim to the weather, and if it is cold, I put on a coat. 2. Why not? Stacey and I are of a nature that we are not afraid to leave what we are used to for something new. We go where we have the best opportunities for growth, and if that means leaving Utah, then that is what we do. 3. We would be excited to come back afterwards. However, we are not coming back afterwards. Just like deciding where to go to school, where we move after school for my first professorship will be a function of where we think will be best for our family, and not where we are already comfortable. It is alright to move away, and we are excited to do so. 4. We are excited for the crime. In truth, Ann Arbor has a crime rate far below that of the national average. However, I have lived in a ghetto, and have seen crime. I have had to stay inside while violent protests calmed and tear gas cleared from the air. I have had bars over my windows, three locked gates before getting into my house (one with a dog in it), been mugged, and otherwise lived in a ghetto situation. So, while we are moving to a place that is actually safer than where we currently live, even if we were not, it would be alright. But, for the record: Ann Arbor ≠ Detroit So, having answered those questions we have received, here is me signing the acceptance letter.

2 comments:

stacey said...

Sorry my voice sounds horrible in the video. I've had a bad cold that seems to be gone now, thankfully!

Dan Cummings said...

Oh, I thought it was just choked with emotion. I know it brought a tear to me eye...

Did all those "ghetto" experiences happen in Neuquén?

Congrats Jeff, I make fun in jest, but I am proud of you! Onward!