Apr 8, 2008

Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout would not take the garbage out!

I thought of this Shel Silverstein poem because of a seemingly insignificant event that took place earlier today. I was sitting in my living room and I heard a trash bin being rolled out in our driveway. I thought nothing of it, until I realized 1) Our trash was picked up yesterday and 2) The other bin that lives ours belongs to a now-empty apartment. So I ran to the window to see who was rolling our bin and our neighbor's bin away and it was a man with a clipboard who seemed to know what he was doing. I looked to where he was rolling them and it was a long trailer filled with other nicer looking bins, so I thought maybe they were doing us a favor and giving us a new one since our other one was kind of junky. But I never heard the man come back down our driveway to put the new bin back where it goes. So, I called Provo City sanitation to ask why they had taken our trash bin and the lady put me on hold. Then she explained. First she said, "Well, apparently [Sam Roberts] is your landlord. (laughs) Lucky you (said sarcastically)." What does that mean? Our landlord asked them to take away two bins for apartments that are vacant. Great, there are 2 vacant houses right here, but ours is not one of them. She asked me if our bin have our house number on it? Now this I was not sure about. I'm fairly observant, but not with trash cans. But we are paying for one each month and I am good at paying our bill on time. The lady helping me said they would make sure we get one. I hope it is soon. Until then, you can still come visit us, we will still take the trash out but there is nowhere to put it, so be warned! If we aren't careful we could meet the same fate as Sarah did, only worse since we have Jacob's diapers... In any event, that poem is worth reading no matter what, and I did give a stirring rendition of it in the Dogwood Elementary School talent show when I was 6 or 7, complete with dirt on my face and a fancy metal classroom-grade trash can and crumpled up paper at my feet, if I am remembering correctly.

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I love Shel Silverstein. I think my favorite growing up was "I'm Being Eaten by a Boa Constrictor"---"Oh heck, it's up to my neck, Oh dread, it's up to my *mmmph*" or something like that. :)
Thanks for the hair advice. His little noggin is quite a bit bigger than it was when he was born. I also heard it had something to do with adult hormones lessening in his body (?). Don't know if that's got any basis in reality ...

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! We lived in our farm house in Brittany, LA with no garbage can. I spent many, many hours hunting down the garbage co. and could never find it....we burned our garbage...or the neighborhood animals (snakes, dogs, cats, rats) attacked it. I AM SO GLAD TO BE IN UTAH!!!

Dee said...

I think I would give good ol' Sam Roberts a call and be sure he knows you are still there! He might be showing/renting out your place next! Do you have pics of the talent show?

stacey said...

I originally thought it would make for a good story, but this morning a little after 8 AM the same man came back with a trash can for us. Kudos to Provo City for being on top of things - I thought I'd at least have to wait a few days. It is a different can so I guess our old one did not have our house number on it like I thought it might.

My mom might have pictures of the talent show but I don't know for sure. Erin would have been a squirmy toddler then so perhaps there weren't any taken. :)

CORYNN AND JER said...

I always loved Shel Silverstein, but the drawings in his books of poems creeped me out. (And still do.)