Sep 10, 2009

Rock of Ages: Album Review

Last month I received a copy of the cast recording of a newer Broadway show called Rock of Ages. I hadn't heard of this show before so I was happy to review it for the One2One Network after I'd read in the preview e-mail that it featured arena-rock hits from the 80s.
Once I got the album I decided to read up on the show and start my listening. After I read what the show is about and learning a little bit more about it, I wasn't terribly interested in what I was listening to. So while I originally thought this would be a fun way to rock to some 80s hits, things were soured a bit when I learned what the show was really about. Because the cast recording includes lines from the show that I just don't really approve of or appreciate, the songs are not really something I can appreciate in this newer context. It is not a show that I would ever go see. This opinion is based on how the songs were used to tell the love story, and all the innuendos that were also used or implied.
I probably will keep turning up the radio if I hear "Don't Stop Believin'" or "The Final Countdown," but I would not recommend this album or show to people who, like me, have far different values than those "values" (or lack thereof) that seem to pervade most of the entertainment industry. Find something you can share with your kids instead.

No comments: