Jan 14, 2008

Music without words

So, yesterday Stacey and I went to a concert of music that was, for the most part, enjoyable. There were, however, a few pieces that I did not particularly enjoy. They all were music without words. I don’t know what it is. I just never really liked music without words. This is a problem, as much of classical music, and thus the key to cultural musical refinement, lies in music without words. I just never particularly liked music without words. Yesterday as I sat listening to the music without words, it made me think a lot about myself. I thought at first that my dislike for wordless music is a sign of my lack of creativity or imagination, something which may or may not be the case. However, I decided, in the end, that my musical preference is very much a symbol for who I am. Three recent examples are helpful. My wayward brother (who currently is a self proclaimed Indian chiefery major) is considering a psychology major. This seems completely unreasonable to me. It rings of utter uselessness, and I don’t know how anyone could enjoy being a psychology major. However, this last week, I have been writing a paper on auditor litigation for publication in a business ethics journal that focuses on different psychological phenomena that bias judges, juries, the investing public and auditors, all contributing to the problem of auditor litigation. I read many different purely psychological papers from the psychology literature, and enjoyed them a great deal. I got to thinking, it is not a dislike of psychology that makes the thought of that as a major for my brother so distasteful—in fact, I enjoying a great deal thinking about how people think. However, I find repulsive the contextless setting of studying psychology for psychology's sake. Applied to some situations like auditor litigation, I love it, in abstract, I do not particularly care for it. Similarly, I am getting a minor in economics, and I enjoy it a great deal. However, I enjoy it, in large part, because I can apply it to concrete examples I know about from my other classes. I am much more drawn to accounting and finance, with their concrete basis in actual facts, than to economics, with its grounding and termination in often unapplied theory. A true economist is just as happy discussing problems where craisins are traded for corn, whereas in finance and accounting we deal in cash. Lastly, last winter semester I took a calculus class, to brush up so I could do better in my economics classes. I love calculus, and especially love how utterly useful it is in solving so many of life’s problems. However, I hated the class, because whenever someone would question the usefulness of the material, the teacher would respond, “I am just here to teach calculus, not to show you what it is useful for. Ask whatever major is making you take this class for calculus’ uses.” That irritated me a lot. So, back to my dislike of music without words. To me, wordless music is just like economics, unapplied math and psychology, pleasant, but only when put in some useful context, such as words to listen to. I love theory and abstraction, but only inasmuch as I can readily apply them to some useful and concrete problem. Rather than swim freely in clear water, I would much rather plunge into pudding, swimming in substance instead of speculation.

8 comments:

the firths said...

down with all psychology majors!
actually, i (almost) completely agree with you. i'm not quite sure i share your view on where the line between concrete and abstract lie. BUT- I too share your affinity for pudding. by the way, i'll have to talk to your brother about indian chiefery. sounds like it would go well on my transcript.

Myrna said...

1. Oh my goodness
2. Leave Kevin alone
3. make better pudding
4. Let your dad teach you about music

Jeff said...

Brady,

Interestingly, reading your other blog was going to go on as the fourth adjenda item for things that were less concrete than my optimal amount concretness. While interestingly, when a conversation can be limited to what happens in ones head, or speaks only of actions in the most general terms, I get a little uneasy.

While relativist though it may sound, however, I am not suggesting my line ought to be anyone elses lines. Many things we use in application every day were invested by some theorist who thought them up years before anyone thought of a good use for them. Anyways, that is that.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Pudding.

Kevin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kevin said...

The funny thing is that as I read your blog I was by happenstance listening to 'Rhapsody in Blue' by George Gershwin, which, of course, has no words, like the vast majority of music that I enjoy.

When I first read the post, I felt the first fruits of offense, but then I realized that half of the people that will see your blog wont read that post, and half of those who read it will not understand it, and half of those that understand it will not believe it, and half of those that believe it are of no account anyway.

Well, I am off to eat some Jello.
--The Wayward Brother

Jeff said...

Jello brand pudding?

Sandra Batterton said...

I don't know about that pudding, but I just found out that you and Kevin ate my sugar cookies. You know, the ones that spelled out my name. Now I'm really ticked off!!!!
Sandra Batterton

Anonymous said...

THe title of this post made me remember a book I once saw "Sheet Music," about making love.