Jan 8, 2008
Seats and Taco Soup a-plenty
Tonight we had 27 people over at our house from Jeff's singles ward (he is the 2nd counselor in the Bishopric). They had family home evening here and we served dinner. It was fun, but there were many more people than I was expecting. (I was told to expect between 10 and 20, so Jeff planned for about 15 or so...but I really was thinking 10 all the time I was preparing.) One of the nice single gentlemen remarked to me: "The first FHE of the semester is always the best-attended one. Everyone is coming to check the other people out. It's shallow I guess, but it's true." Having had my fair share of singles ward experiences, I was duly reminded and had to agree. Needless to say, I hadn't thought of that in all my preparations of the day.
Our living room is quite small, or long and narrow anyways, so it was pretty tight in here once everyone was here. There were chairs all around, with people occupying them, and then while I was changing Jacob's diaper more people came and so Jeff even pulled out our food storage buckets (our bed is approximately 5 gallons high off the ground...) so more people could sit down. It was great.
I had made two batches of taco soup that would each serve 8-10 people. Jeff had the Elder's quorum president run out and get some Little Caesars five-buck pizzas so we could be sure to have enough food to go around. In the end all but one person (she ate before she came over) had a bowl of soup and then those who wanted more food could eat some Hot-N-Ready goodness. The soup really turned out well and seemed to keep on lasting. I was pretty surprised but felt blessed and considered it a miracle of my day. I think we can look for evidence of miracles every day and this was a good reminder that I need to remember to do that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Actually, if you count everybody twice, there were 54 people here. Even more packed. Wow.
No need to count twice but you can count the blessings. I could tell you lots of stories of the "feeding of the 5,000",Now you have one of your own. I would have to admit, I know not where you put that many people. Good for you to even agree to have it at your house.
Post a Comment