Jan 14, 2008

Books

Following the example of an esteemed colleague of mine, here are the books I read/listened to in 2007, to the best of my memory: 1984 – George Orwell An hour before daylight - Jimmy Carter Animal Farm – George Orwell Brave New World - Aldous Huxley Collapse – Jared Diamond Dawn – Elie Wiesel Endangered Values – Jimmy Carter Freakonomics – Steven Leavitt Good to Great – Jim Collins Into the Kingdom – Carmen Bin Laden John Adams – David McCullough Lord of the Flies – William Golding Made in America – Sam Walton Miracles – CS Lewis Mornings on Horseback– David McCullough My Life – Bill Clinton Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck Rich Dad, Poor Dad – Robert Kiyosaki (garbage) Straight from the Gut– Jack Welch The Book of Mormon The Enoch Letters – Neal Maxwell The Screwtape Letters – CS Lewis Tipping Point – Malcom Gladwell Truman – David McCullough Winning – Jack Welch A couple are old favorites that received encores, and I liked most of them. The problem is, most were not all that deep. So, here is my question. What are some good books I can read, or, even better, listen to, this year. The following would be desirable criteria:
  • For listening, any length will do.
  • For reading, shorter is better, as I have a very small attention span.
  • Take into mind the sentiments in "Music without Words"
  • I have to be able to check it out somewhere for free
  • I prefer it not have the word "Rabbit" in the title
  • I prefer more liberal slanted books, as I get enough conservatism at BYU and just thinking to myself
  • I like books about or by *famous* people
  • Things that apply to business or economics are good, as I can use them in my teaching
Let me know if you have any suggestions. I also love dystopian novels.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Hoopes,

You should try that new book about Tom Cruise and Scientology. I'm sure there would be enough things in there to fancy your mind for a week or two.

aaron wilkinson said...

Gee-Wiz! u r smrt. I don't even read books. I hope your books have lots of pictures.

Jeff I am ever impressed with what you get done in a day.

the firths said...

Jeff- I, for one, appreciate your more frequent postings these days. I miss our neighborly little chats after taking out the garbage or grabbing the mail (as well as all the other good times). Good luck with this phase of school selection.
-Brady

Anonymous said...

Aaronwilk,

I will let you in on a little secret about how I get anything done in a day. Lean a little closer and I will wisper it in your ear. Closer now.

--my wife--.

Yep, thats the secret. She takes care of most things in my life, and so I am able to to go to school and work unencumbered by many of life's worries and concerns.

aaron wilkinson said...

Wow, I never thought of that before. I think that is now a recource I will start using more often. I'll start first by having her clean my bike.