Aug 8, 2010

Stars

Jacob is in the process of potty-training. In the step between regular underpants and diapers, he wears a pull-up. The particular kind of pull-up we have little stars on the front, and when the pull-up gets damp from the inside (soggy, as Jacob would say), the stars on the outside disappear. Jacob is trying very hard to keep the stars there throughout the whole day. If he does, he earns a potty-prize, a car from a 6 pack of cars obtained from the dollar store. He occasionally earns potty prizes. Stacey and I want for him very much to earn the prizes, and we (especially Stacey) take him to the bathroom every time we think he may need to go to prevent the loss of stars. However, he is easily distract by play, and can sometimes lose his focus, and lose sight of the prize, and for all Stacey and I can do, loses his stars. Today, Jacob and I started the day talking about what he would have to do to earn a potty prize. I reminded him, and he repeated several times to me, that if he needs to go potty, he needs to tell mom or dad. I also reminded him of the challenge of a Sunday—if he needs to go potty during nursery time, he has to tell the people there to come get Stacey or me so he can go to the bathroom. This is all a great challenge to a 35 month old little boy who loves so much to play and can get very enveloped in doing so. Today, Jacob stayed dry all this morning. He stayed dry during all of nursery. He was well on his way to earning a potty prize. If he could just control his bladder, pay attention, and maintain his stars, the promise his parents had given him would be fulfilled, and he would have a new car to add to his burgeoning collection. Shortly after dinner, Jacob emerged from the basement, and it was apparent the stars were gone. He had lost the prize. Stacey asked if he had gone potty downstairs, and asked about the stars, and Jacob started crying. He knew what he had done, knew the consequence, but wanted so much to have the prize. He begged for Stacey to put the stars back on. With true sorrow, she looked at him, knowing she could not put the stars back. The deed bad been done. He cried and pleaded for her to return the stars to the front of his pull-up. But, she couldn’t. The stars were gone and the prize was lost. In life, we all lose our stars every now and again. We get distracted while at play. In the end, we never deserve a prize. I am so grateful for a Savior more powerful than Stacey—a loving being who has earned the capacity to return our stars, and help us win the prize.

1 comment:

Sandra Batterton said...

Go Jacob!!! I hope you become a true stargazer soon!!!! I will never look at stars again without thinking of you.