This week's pick was from Nancy of The Dogs Eat the Crumbs. You can find the recipe at her site.
This cake is very flavorful and moist, and comes together lickety-split. My oven is a little on the hot side, so I turn the temperature down every time I bake and thus adjust the time as well. Usually it works out fine, but this time the cake was a little underdone and I didn't know it until I cut into it. It was a little gooier than I would have liked, but the flavor was still good. I used orange zest instead of lemon and obviously slivered almonds instead of sliced. The recipe says to use a skillet or a cake or pie pan, so next time I think I'll try the skillet and see if that helps the middle cook any better. Happy baking!
17 comments:
I bet the orange zest is wonderful in it.
Next time I'll try that.
My cake was underdone and did not slice at all--too gooey. I baked it in a skillet. What is your altitude?
I was going to suggest a metal pan might help it bake through, but cindy's comment sort of nixed that theory. It was hard to test this one, since it stays pretty moist no matter what. I'll bet the orange + almond combo was delicious. Thanks for baking along with me this week.
You should request a new oven.
It looks very pretty for a cake that was slightly under baked. And the orange sounds yummy, too!
I've seen a couple TWD bakers use orange zest and now I'm intrigued. Might have to give that a try next time. Sorry your cake was a little more moist then you prefer. Your edges were brown though so maybe you need to turn down your oven temp more? or you could always do what Jeff said. New oven!
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com
Mmmm I can smell the orange zest now!! Your cake looks great :)
Funny how ovens have their own little characters: yours is on the hot side, mine browns more in the back than in the front: I have to remember to turn everything 180 degrees halfway through baking!!
Yipeee for Swedish cake..I loved it. The only thing I have had Swedish is the candy Swedish fish! Your cake looks so good!
Stacey, the cake looks great. I had my best laugh of the day today reading Jeff's comment above, I don't know why but it made me laugh out loud. I must have needed to laugh. Hope you had a great day today. Dad
Since we have had two comments on my comment, I would just like to add some background. Here where we live, they are pretty good about replacing and fixing things. We have some friends who just asked for a new oven because theirs was not working properly, and they got it. So, I was merely suggesting we do the same.
Looks beautiful! I thought it was delicious, and so easy.
Oooo, orange zest sounds delicious! I loved this cake and couldn't believe that something so simple to put together could taste so delicious!
Yum! I hated that oven...assuming you haven't had it replaced...it's a BAD cookie! ;)
Orange zest sounds great! My last oven was hot, too, it's tough to gauge for new recipes when working with something like that!
Your cake looks yummy! I wouldn't mind the gooey-ness of it since the batter was so tasty! =)
Mmm... this looks TASTY!
Post a Comment