Apr 5, 2010

Trip to Virginia

After my parents stayed here for two nights the weekend of Rebecca's birthday, we loaded up their Pilot with the kids and myself and a lot of stuff and headed back to Virginia with them to spend about 9 days there. The kids did well in the car and we had a lot of fun once we reached "Grandma's House." Enjoy the pictures of some of our trip's highlights!
Ohio/Pennsylvania border-ish rest stop. Grandma took Jacob on a walk to look at the trucks.
It took driving all over Reston, but we found 2 geese to feed at Lake Thoreau.
Rebecca chatting with the goose about the benefits of eating stale hamburger bun scraps.
A visit to Kidwell Farm at Frying Pan Park also let us see a horse show. Jacob wanted to "ride the ponies!!" They had fun names like Hot Pocket and...oh, that's the only one I remember.
Feeding grass to a baby lamb with Grandpa.
Ten piglets try to get some food. Be glad they usually come one at a time is what I was telling myself as I took this shot. Holy lunchtime, Batman! Shortly after this picture was taken I noticed one of Rebecca's hearing aids went missing. I retraced our steps a few times and figured it might be at home so we headed back to check and sure enough it was there, but it had been at the farm too. Go figure, it fell in Rebecca's onesie and I had missed it when I padded her down beforehand. She was keeping it so safe but couldn't tell us! Phew.
Brittany and Mark have a new baby! Vienna Michelle Lisle was born while I was in Virginia - so exciting! Love the little hand over her face, and I love that I got to see such great friends and the cute kids they have.
Jacob got to find some Easter eggs on the deck one afternoon. Grandpa hid them twice, that's how much fun he had. "He" refers to Jacob and Grandpa.
Perhaps these balls were Jacob's favorite part of Grandma and Grandpa's house. They loved them!
Tried to get a shot of him sitting on the ball, but in true Jacob fashion he was far too wiggly. So I got the sliding picture instead.
Loving grandma and the big blue ball!
We got to visit the National Zoo. Inflation is so big in DC right now. It costs 1.75 to drive on the toll road (it was .75 in high school) and parking at the zoo was around 5 bucks last time I went there in college. Now it's 15. On to the pictures.
"Oh Grandpa! I just love the reptile house. Look over there at the snake, not at my mom."
Jacob sees his first Caribbean iguana, a favorite of Jeff's, just as it heads over to its pan of food. They were even cooler in the wild, just so you know.
Pandas eat bamboo for lunch. Jacob can tell you all about it.
Another shot of the panda eating, from up above.
Zebras are "kind of white, kind of black," just like pandas.
Rebecca and a cheesy smile post-mealtime.
Jacob sharing his cheese with his friends. They had a "picmic" in the living room.
Jacob got to help Grandma feed Chuck, the cat of a friend who was out of town. Jacob reminded us many times that Patty calls Charlie Brown "Chuck" as well. This picture is blurry because my mom was telling Jacob to shake the food into the bowl. So he did the normal thing and started jumping up and down and shaking himself and the food.
Jacob telling Tip Top all about the planes. I asked him if they were "super cool" and he kept saying "soop-cool, Tip Top!" I guess that's a yes.
Eating arrowroot cookies and watching planes at BWI.
As soon as we took off, Jacob requested to go back down. I took this picture after we landed in Detroit and Jacob requested to go on the airplane again so we could go "high in the sky again." There were no tears on the flight until right here. Nothing I said could comfort him except promising him that next time we went on a plane we'd bring Daddy with us. I guess we'll have to travel again soon!

No comments: