Mar 12, 2010

No empty chairs

I was reading in Alma 29 tonight and when I got to the end of the chapter and saw the phrase "go no more out," where Alma refers to his desire for Ammon & his brethren to gain eternal life, I was curious how many times that phrase is in the scriptures. So, I searched and found out the answer is seven times.

For some reason this phrase reminded me of President Benson's thoughts on there being "no empty chairs" in the eternal family home. That was one of the themes for the Dulles Branch, the branch my family served in when I was in 8th-10th grade, and I remember feeling the spirit when President Flanigan reminded us of our need to support and encourage one another in the work of the gospel. That spirit testified to me then the importance of having a similar motto for my future eternal family that I would later build.

Now here I am, almost five years since Jeff and I began our journey together, and with next Saturday being Rebecca's first birthday and Jacob's 2.5 year mark, I have been pausing a lot to reflect on how I am living and teaching the gospel in my home as my children grow at warp speed. I can unequivocally say that my hope and my goal is that we may all sit down together in the kingdom of God, with no empty chairs, to go no more out. We're working on it now, and it is wonderful.

God intended the family to be eternal. With all my soul, I testify to the truth of that declaration. May he bless us to strengthen our homes and the lives of each family member so that in due time we can report to our Heavenly Father in His celestial home that we are all there--father, mother, sister, brother, all who hold each other dear. Each chair is filled. We are all back home. - Ezra Taft Benson

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing Stacey!

Steve McKoy said...

Stacey, thank you for this great reminder of what is really important in this life. This made me think of the Flanigan family and when we went to Tim's funeral last year. What a great blessing it will be to all be together again, eternally as families. By the way, you and Jeff are doing a great job in teaching and raising your kids in the gospel. I am really proud of you!! Love, Dad