So, now that Rebecca has been alive for a month and a half, Stacey finally decided to trust me alone with her. Stacey decided she would trust me with Rebecca long enough for her to walk out to the mailbox and get the mail (about forty five seconds).
So, Stacey was gone, and Rebecca started crying. I didnt know what to do. Usually, I just tell Stacey to make the baby stop crying, and she does. With Stacey gone, I started to panic. I thought about calling my mom to ask what to do. But, I decided I was all grown up, I could figure it out. I got to thinking, and thought, "Jacob is home all day with Stacey and Rebecca. He should know what to do." So, I found Jacob in the bathroom taking all toilet paper off the roll (which I was glad for, otherwise I would have had to do it myself). I explained the situation, and he told me that Rebecca was hungry, and to feed her. I looked a little scared, and he realized I had no idea how to do that. So, he said he would show me how. So, we went downstairs, and he got the boppy, mixed up a bottle, and started feeding Rebecca.
He was very good at it, and explained step by step what he was doing and why. He was very patient with me as I asked questions. Finally, he determined I would probably be able to try it. So, he let me try my hand at feeding my daughter.

I did pretty well, if I do say so myself. He helped me with the angle a bit, and was a good coach. It really was exciting to feed my daughter for the first time, like the time a couple years ago when I fed myself. Feeding people is exciting.
So, she finished the bottle, was not crying, and I was releived. I went to go take my evening nap, but Jacob told me that the feeding was not done. He explained that sometimes babies need help burping, and I would need to burp Rebecca. He told me that he trusted me enough to hold her, so, he showed me how to pick her up, supporting her head, and then showed me how to burp her. I learned you can't hit her too hard, and just gentle taps will help the burps come out. Here he is showing me how it is done.

It took me a while to burp her, so Jacob did some light reading as he helped. So, after she burped, I thought I was done. Jacob then reminded me that we can't just leave bottles all over the house, and that I needed to put the bottles in the sink so that the maid could clean them later. I looked surprised, having never deposited a dish in the sink, and having previously thought that bottles were disposable. He got a bit impatient, and just took the bottle to the sink on his own.

Then, Stacey got back. She was right to have trusted me with watching Rebecca.
5 comments:
Awesome. Very clever and very cute picture of Jacob helping with his sister. Siblings are the best!
>laugh<
Way to go Jacob! Cute pictures.
You're very lucky to have Jacob around. Rebecca is too. :)
I missed the mentioning of a mother-in-law though...
The reference to my mother in law is basically just about confirming her priors.
Did that actually happen?? No way you can feed and burp a baby in 45 seconds.
Post a Comment