Here is the latest round of books:
The Lion's Pride: Theodore Roosevelt and his family in times of peace and war
Great book. Even more than the subject of a great book, Roosevelt was just an amazing fellow. I listened to books about Lincoln and Kennedy, both of whom were extremely good politicians. Lincoln was, at least by most accounts, an extremely ethical man. But, neither was a model parent. Roosevelt, by all accounts was—his children loved him and he took amazing interest in them. He had an amazing number of desirable attributes, and, I enjoyed very much learning about him.
The Black Swan
Listened to it for a class. Fits in the same kind of category as Blink or The Tipping point—trendy kind of book written for people who think they like to think. It was pretty good. It was referenced in this last Conference.
Lincoln
Enjoyable. I enjoyed leaning more about this president which has practically been canonized, but, which like everyone had problems. Regardless of those problems, he was, by all accounts, an amazing guy, and it was a pretty good book.
The Age of Turbulence
A recent book by Alan Greenspan, this was interesting. He spent a while talking about his life, then talked about the economy. It was interesting to see what he had to say, although it was fairly watered down, being written for consumption by the general public. It is amazing how many famous people he knew early on in his life.
An unfinished life: John F. Kennedy
One of a couple I listened to about Kennedy. An amazingly powerful family with an amazing number of dark secrets. Powerful. Corruption. Interesting that JFK has practically been canonized since.
Diary of Anne Frank
This was interesting book. It had some interesting insights, but, it was mostly interesting to just see how a teenage girl thinks about things. One moving point of the book is the end. I listened to it, and when you listen, you don’t know when the end is coming. So, it was the end of a diary entry, and the book was done. It makes one realize the abrupt finality of so many lives like Anne’s. They were living somewhere, were herded up, taken off, and most died.
2 comments:
How do you listen to/read so many books? I would like to, but probably sleep too much.
As much as I would like to, I dont read books. I read a lot, but it would be overpowerfully interesting if I discussed what I spend most of my time reading. I listen to all these. I just go the library, anything that remotely sounds interesting, is by someone I know of, or is about someone I know of, I get, put on my ipod, and listen to as I bike to work, do chores and such, and otherwise do things that require no thinking. It is very pleasant. I am one talk short of finishing conference, and that is also nice. If you would like to download conference (all at once, as opposed to talk by talk at the Churches website), you can do so here: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/387026/New%20Folder.zip .
Post a Comment