May 6, 2009
Taxes
So, there was a new tax plan suggested on Monday. I am sure everyone here is extremely interested. All the articles I have ready on it were so biased and stupid, I didnt know what to do. I just read this:
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-taxes6-2009may06,0,1859318.story
It is the first article of this type to link to academic studies, all of which decry the stupidity of the plan. The authors involved are all well known folks--one has some work I am currently basing a research paper off of, and two of the others where at a small tax policy conference I attended several weeks back.
I find it fascinating this administration is so anxious to use what "science" says about some issues (stem cell research...), but not about others (tax policy). There is certainly an ethical side to tax policy to which economics cannot speak, but, to the side that it can, this plan is ridiculous and flies in the face of what academic research suggests is good policy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
thanks for the link. i've been out of touch with current events, so i hadn't heard about the latest tax changes. it pays to think two steps ahead instead of just one. long live the academic literature.
Post a Comment