Jan 7, 2009

Udvar-Hazy Center

While we were visiting with my parents and sister in the deep deep south (Virginia) we got to take some time for a Jeff + Stacey date with our good friends Brittany + Mark and hit up the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum.
Britt was my roommate for 4 years at BYU and though we were friends growing up, I probably couldn't have imagined what a great asset she'd be to me through the crazy and oh-so-fun college years and beyond. And we both married boys we met our freshman year at school and have pretty cute babies now. Here are some pictures to document the cool airplanes and spacecraft that we saw on our outing.
Jeff figured this was a lovely plane to take a picture of with me in front of it.
Yes, that is the Enola Gay. Me and Brittany studying this plane very carefully.
The token picture to prove that Chipman 3209 Cute Days exist even outside of the dorms, seven and a half years later. Space Shuttle Enterprise (the large thing in the background, not the foreground!). Do notice how Baby Girl Hoopes is taking up her residence quite well these days.
The Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird, a fine specimen of an airplane. And super-fast to boot! London to LA in under 4 hours? Check. That's the kind of flight that would be perfect with children.
And presenting the world's most expensive "lunch": a 6 piece nugget kids' meal for me and a vanilla ice cream cone for Jeff. Cost: $7.00. When did McDonald's decide it could be pricey, even at a museum?
Thanks again to Mom & Erin for keeping an eye on Jacob for us!

3 comments:

Tess said...

I wish we could've gone too! Those planes are quite amazing. And you are not even close to resembling a space shuttle, although that comment made me laugh very hard. :)

Tracey and Steve said...

Oh, how I miss sweet Jacob. He brought us so much joy! It's nice to have you close(er)! Happy New Year! Hope Jeff's classes are going well this week.

Give Jacob and extra snuggle from me!

Love you all,
Grandma Trace

Janel said...

Looks like you had a fun date! This is my first time on your blog, and I must say it was fun to see your adventures. I actually do have the happy birthday banner that I made in California, I am making a second one for my sister for her birthday.