For now, I think I will do this by donating blood. As we all know, the Red Cross does not just take donated blood and give it away to the needy--they sell it. From the proceeds of the blood sales they carry on their activities. I have no idea what they sell blood for. Let say $100 a pint. So, my "service" will mean $100 more in the coffers of the Red Cross.
The inauguration festivities are going to cost about $150,000,000.00, spent on lots of booze, DJs, disco balls, caviar, and lots and lots of police to keep someone from damaging our new king.
It is interesting to think about how one justifies such an expense. It is even more interesting to think of a line of 1,500,000 million people (more people than live in my home state of Idaho) lined up to give blood just to equal what is being blown to celebrate the coronation. It is even more interesting to think about how many starving Kenyans (or West Virginians) could be fed and saved from death with that amount of money.
It seems like a great way to welcome a new era of fiscal restraint.
What are your thoughts?
9 comments:
If I remember correctly there was tons of mud slinging about the 40 million that Bush spent, and I still cannot even think what could cost that amount. With the economy the way it is, I do not think there is a way to justify the spending, even if it all comes from donations and does not belong to the country. I would be much more impressed if he actually walked the walk and spent the money productively. I do think there should indeed be a party to celebrate, but it need not be so flashy and ....well I will get off my soap box and say, I think not, not appropriate.
At least in Idaho when you donate blood to the Red Cross, they don't really "sell" it, they process it, which costs money, and then they send the processed blood to a hospital where it is used for legitimate purposes to help people. The Red Cross does charge the hospital, but supposedly just for the processing expenses, not for the cost of the blood, which was donated. At least that is what the Red Cross tells the Rotary Club when they ask us to sponsor a blood drive for them, which we do on a quarterly basis in Soda Springs.
I just have a hope that the administration can change its poor spending habits before anyone does anything too stupid, though it doesn't get much more stupid than spending a googolian dollars on something that might be fun with MoTab, some streamers, confetti, and those little poppers like we had at the Christmas dinner table. Coronation, indeed. Hope and change, change and hope.
Jeff, Im going to have to come to your page more often....wow...the arguments just keep on getting better and better!
Just the first of many changes. Another "change" taking place is his obsessive amounts of security for the big bash. There will be more soldiers on guard in DC that day than there are at war in Afghanistan. To top it off, all the bridges from DC to VA crossing the Potomac are being closed for "security reasons". You know when that was last done? No- not Sept. 11. The Civil War. The bridges were closed for a time to keep the South from invading the Capitol. Well, at least he's fulfilling his campaign promise of change. Let's see what other promises he can keep. I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. Not to mention some of those promises scare me.
Well, at least we aren't spending TRILLIONS on an unnecessary war or BILLIONS on tax cuts for the rich or millions on no-bid contracts for politically connected companies...
oh WAIT...Bush already did that...
I think it should be pointed out that Obama used the day before his Inauguration to promote service (walking the walk by serving at a shelter in DC), and has used his campaign network to raise money for victims of natural disasters.
Considering that about 1.5 million people were there (of which I was one), it was about $10 per person, which I thought was worth it :)
First, 1,500,000*10=15,000,000, some 135,000,000 short. However, even at the correct 100 a piece, we are not suggesting the per person price was outrageous, only that it could have been used in a more productive and symbolic way, the way Roosevelt did. Second, Congress both declares and funds wars, complain to them (especially the many, many liberal members of congress who voted for it, or the now liberally beloved Powell who talked the UN into it. Third, it was a war against a dictator the international community found guilty and executed. Fourth, congress approves tax cuts, which went to dampen the wound of the most successful bearing a exponentially disproportionate share of the burden. Fifth, a large portion of "cuts" for the "wealthy" were capital gains tax reductions, available to anyone willing to save money instead of blow it all every paycheck. Sixth, congress also has the mandate to regulate and investigate irregularities in defense spending. As of yet, we have had not a single verdict of guilt from the liberal congress. I guess you can throw a presumption of innocence away with all the other American values the left would have us discard. Seventh, Obama walked around a shelter in DC, having photos snapped the whole time. Good job. I am sure millions of homeless people will go to bed warmer and fuller because of it.
By the by, I enjoy a healthy discussion. Feel free to bring more comments to the table.
That is funny Jeff, and so true. People are quick to blame President Bush yet congress must agree on everything. I look at the 150 million spent yesterday like this; a true leader would not have needed to spend that kind of money. Only a person that is trying to prove something that does not exist would hide behind the PR. A true leader would have stepped down, spent that money wisely and moved forward with saving this country.
I'm very cynical about the type of "service" that Obama was a part of the day before. I'm trying to think of an analogical service activity in my little non-Presidential sphere. If the President Elect, with all of his resources and power steps into a soup kitchen for a few minutes, what should I be doing if we scale according to available resources? Giving a long distance, telekinetic air-five to a United Way worker, or what?
I liked this post on a similar theme (he was more productive than I am currently being).
(http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2009/01/national-day-of.html)
-Brady
Post a Comment