Nov 5, 2008

A day of gratitude.

I was listening to several of my classmates explain their reaction to the election results last night. They described how they just stood there and wept with joy. I also wept (although perhaps for different reasons). In any event, I am very grateful to live in a place where power changes hands so easily. When Washington gave up the presidency, that was completely unprecedented. It had never happened so easily, so seamlessly. And, ever since, it has continued to happen. This is good. Being who I am, there are many other comments I wish to make. But, last night, this was one of the first things that came to my mind. Regardless of who wins now or later, we live in a country still governed by law, and we are blessed as a result. On a side note, interestingly, while we elected who we did, the five major ballot issues dealing with homosexuality (either the marriage of gays or their right to adopt children), all fell to the side not favoring gays. Strange world.

2 comments:

the firths said...

So is this evidence that people 1) don't have well developed, coherent philosophies that guide all their decisions, or that 2) they're just complex, subtle, and nuanced, or 3) just dumb? (and I don't mean dumb for voting for traditional marriage)

Jeff said...

If we assumed they had full information and were unnuanced, we could come to the conclusion that their preferences are not convex.

It is my understanding they did not have full information. Many, many voters were first time voters, many coming from minority groups, who supported the anti-gay marriage initiatives. They supported Obama. Obama supports gay marriage. Were gay marriage the only issue, this would violate transversality.