Nov 5, 2008

My Incident at the Polls

So, yesterday when I went to vote, I saw something I found disheartening. So, I contacted the Secretary of State for Michigan, and had a few e-mails back and forth yesterday morning. Here they are:

Me

I went to vote this morning, and was surprised to find a large table marked something along the lines of "Democratic Voter Assistance" blocking the sidewalk directly in front of the place I voted [in] Ann Arbor. They appeared to be handing out voter material. I do not know specific regulations or laws, but having such an obvious intrusion to even being able to get to the poll without having to walk around such a thing was not appropriate. It was probably about 30 yards from the building I voted in. It was clearly unavoidable as I made my way to the poll. What can I do about reporting this?

Them

Thank you - we will have staff look into it.

Me

Can you please let me know the outcome?

Thank you.

Them

Okay – Also, just so you know that if it is 100' from the entrance to the door used by voters entering the polling place, it is acceptable. You mentioned about 30 yards so probably is close to the 100'.

Thanks.

Me

There is an entrance to the building that is accessed only by a bridge that leads straight to the door. It was easily within 100 feet of the bridge, which is implicitly the "entrance". From the door, I dont know.

Regards,

Them

Greetings: The type of activity that you describe can take place outside of the polls, however, it must be carried out at least 100 feet away from the doorway being used by voters to enter the building in which the polling place is located. If you feel that the table they have set up is blocking the way of voters as they make their way to the polls, we would encourage you to lodge a complaint with The Ann Arbor City Clerk's office as they would be in position to assess the situation and direct the removal or repositioning of the table if warranted. Thank you for writing. Please do not hesitate to contact this office if you have any questions. Best Regards, Bradley S. Wittman, Director

2 comments:

the firths said...

that's even more obnoxious than the 2 solicitors and 4 phone calls I received yesterday- all Democrats begging for my vote. Do your probable dismay, when they asked if they had my vote I said "wouldn't you like to know" and hung up.

Jeff said...

I was somewhat dismayed no one called me. What's funny is I have been signed up for Obama's e-mails for a while, and they still didnt call me.