Nov 19, 2008

Question

So, I was thinking the other day. Many people have a gift for speaking and for moving people to action. I thought about this, and in comparing, when in a relatively short period of time I read this article and this article by Barack Obama and Neal Maxwell, respectively, that touch on very, very similar themes. While I know the obvious answer all will give when asked to compare the two speakers (that is, that you can't compare them), I ask you to do it anyways. Who is the better speaker - Maxwell, or Obama? I am not asking who you like better, I want to know who speaks better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a stupid question. Where did the hit counter go?

Anonymous said...

And by this is a stupid question, I mean the question about Maxwell and Obama is stupid.

the firths said...

Obama speaks better. Doesn't mean he has better things to say, a better outline, or anything like that. If you gave them the exact same words to say, his delivery is more engaging at a temporal level. Given that, I still think I'd prefer to listen to Maxwell (even if the topic was bean sprouts).

the firths said...

Also, to address your first point, most of the compulsion that comes from listening to Maxwell is driven through the Spirit. Obama's is through emotion. You need different preparation to be motivated by either.