On Veteran's Day I wanted to share a picture that was just sent to me a couple days ago from my dad, who got it from my aunt, who got it from one of my grandfather's shipmates. My grandpa is on the top left of the center, the one with no shirt on.
My Grandpa McKoy died two days after I turned 5, and though I don't remember much about him, as I have grown up in these last 20 years since he died, I have come to appreciate his sacrifices on a more meaningful level.
My dad remembers that Grandpa didn't talk much about his experience as a US Navy man in the Pacific theater during WWII, but it is interesting to see his military records and find out that he lied about his age so that he could serve his country as a sixteen year-old. If the draft were reinstated today I don't think we would see that same type of selfless patriotism that The Greatest Generation had.
I am thankful to my grandpa for many reasons in addition to his service to his country. He also had a strong testimony of the gospel that he accepted when he was baptized as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 21 December 1961 and was a loyal, faithful servant to God until the end.
Jeff's Grandpa Hoopes was an Army medic in the European theater during WWII and he squadron was one of those that landed on Solerno Beach in Italy. Watching the section of the Ken Burns film The War that depicted the events of this invasion was very sobering as we though of how we knew someone who was there and who was part of driving back Axis forces in that part of the world. Here is a picture of Lamro in his uniform.
Who are you remembering on Veteran's Day?
2 comments:
Stace, I really appreciate your comments about veterans. We have all been blessed by those who served our country in the past. I only wish you could remember my Dad. He really loved you girls!
Dad
Hi Stacy,
I found your blog on facebook. I love the first picture that you put up of your grandpa with his fellow sailors. It is sometimes sobering to think of how young the members of the military are. What a great service that they provide to our country. One of my brothers is a midshipman in the navy, and the other just got out of the navy. I guess that is why I love sailors so much!
Post a Comment