A long, long time ago, right after Al Gore invented the Internet, my family got a Juno CD and installed Juno on our computer. This allowed us to dial up to the Internet, send and receive e-mails, and then disconnect. It was free, and it was my first exposure to e-mail. I signed up for the account jlamro AT juno DOT com. I loved it.
However, not too long went by until we got the real Internet. I logged onto hotmail, and signed up for a free account, jlamro AT hotmail DOT com. It was this account that I used until my mission, and that I resigned up for right after my mission. The first e-mail that I have record of receiving at jlamro AT hotmail DOT com after my mission was from Stacey Lea McKoy, who would, almost a year later, become my wife.
But, hotmail has been going down hill. Their banner ads are horrible, their options are few, there is no chat internal to the system, they provide little service space, their searching is horrid, and I simply don't like it. So, a while back, I signed up for jeffrey.hoopes AT gmail DOT com, which I still use. I maintained jlamro AT hotmail, but didn't like it, whenever I handed out my e-mail address, it was at gmail.
Today, I went on to BYUs site, and changed my official e-mail to my Gmail account. It was hard, but, I did it. It is an ending to an era, that era of an innocent child, newly introduced to the Internet, grateful that the same username he had on juno was still available on hotmail. They were good days, but, they are over.
Sniff. Sniff.
No comments:
Post a Comment