Dec 15, 2009

Sing, Sing, Sing, I Like to Sing!

Some of you may know that I work with the kids in our ward as the Primary chorister. I've had this calling since June, and really love it. On many occasions while singing with the children I have felt the Spirit testify to me that what we were singing was true. I have been thinking of what a blessing this calling has been for me, not only in how it's allowed me to stretch myself and do things and exercise my creativity in ways I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, but for how it has put me in a position to teach others (and thus remind myself!) about the basic principles of the gospel through song. Just recently I felt prompted to have the kids sing "Jesus Said Love Everyone," a tiny little half-page of a song, but the words and simple melody communicated truths I needed to hear that day as I was struggling with something.
I'm sure you've seen the poster before that has this on it, but I thought I'd paste these words here to drive my point home a bit more. What do you remember from Primary songs?

All I Need To Know I Learned in Primary

I am a Child of God

Believe in Christ

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

Choose the right

Where love is, there God is also

Cleanliness is next to Godliness

Forgive & Forget

Give oh Give

Listen to the still small voice

Count your many blessings

Do the things the Lord Commands

Honor your father & mother

Dare to be true

Kindness begins with me

Families are Forever

Search, Ponder & Pray

Listen to the prophets voice

Jesus said love everyone

When you are helping you are happy

Heavenly Father hears & answers prayers

There is beauty all around

Reverently & quietly pray

Sunday is special

Do your duties with a heart full of song

My body is a temple

HEAVENLY FATHER LOVES ME

4 comments:

Steve McKoy said...

Great reminders Stacey, so simple but so important and true. We can't wait to see you in a couple of days. Love, Dad

Michelle said...

So sweet and so true!! I remember feeling that when I was the primary pianist, that I learned so much from those songs!! I miss primary a little bit as I have just been called into YW's. New lessons to learn now!

elkgrandma said...

Hey Stacey, I just joined you in this calling the first of December in our Primary. Last time I was the Primary chorister, Jeremy was a Sunbeam and would sit on the floor at my feet and rub my stockings!! We have angels in our primary singing time , I'm sure you do too.

Leslie said...

Great post. My mom was the Primary chorister for years and years when I was a kid. She would make all kinds of posters to help the kids with the words to the songs. It was so exciting when she would get out the box of markers (I can still smell them) and start designing a new poster. Very fun memories. As a result, I think of my mom every time I hear certain Primary songs. Another thing, my birthday was a couple of weeks ago, and both my kids---independent of each other, and ages 25, and 28---called me up and sang me birthday songs they had learned in Primary. Aren't Primary songs terrific? How lucky you are to have that calling.