May 24, 2007

So my laptop died

Yesterday, I was working along on my three year-old laptop, and it decided to die. It gave some errors, made some noises, and in short, the hard drive died. I have been using computers for 15 or so years, and have never had a hard drive go out on me. I thought it was just an excuse people use for not having things saved properly. Now I know that hard drive crashes exist. However, I have not really lost anything. A year and a half ago my generous and lovely mother bought me an external hard drive for Christmas, and I had been backing up all my data faithfully until a couple months ago. Then, there was a lapse. Then, two weeks ago, I felt I definitely needed to back up my hard drive, so I did. Now, I really have not lost anything, and I am very pleased with that. If I did not have the hard drive, 8 gigs of music, 10 gigs of pictures, and many, many hours of work put into documents would have been lost. But, I backed up. This whole thing makes me also aware of how much I am dependent on my laptop. I can't do my school work, or my regular work, without it. It is kind of depressing. Oh well. It will soon be fixed, and my dependence will continue, and my depression will stop. Amen.

No comments: