May 29, 2007

A fine Tuesday

Today I did a couple things that were interesting. I tried a new recipe for chocolate chip cookies that I found on the Land O' Lakes website. I even had the foresight to save Jeff some dough to eat when he got home. I thought that was nice of me. :) Hurrah for jumbo cookies. In other news, I was reading an article today about publishing scholarly journal articles. I have something in the works (a paper about educational evaluation and implications for it gleaned from my reading of Tom Friedman's The World is Flat) that I'm going to discuss with my chair, Dr. Williams, at our meeting on Thursday, so that is nice. I've read the article once before, but it is a good reminder of the things to keep in mind as you write to publish. My favorite suggestion is to not lie about things in your citation page. The authors say that is about as bad as data fabrication - hello? Isn't all dishonesty wrong? Also, today we found out that our little baby boy will have a cousin on the Hoopes side just a few months younger - Congrats to Mark and Amber! I bet their son William is excited to be the big brother. That will be fun for our child, too, because my sister's little boy will be 14 months or so when our baby is born, and Amy's daughter Rachel will be about 17 months. I loved being close to several of my cousins, so I hope this next generation of kids will recognize that they can all be blessed by that too! I changed the settings today so that anyone can post a comment instead of just registered folks, so I hope that is pleasing to those of you who haven't discovered the joy that is gmail. :) Monday I tried to walk up from our stake center to the Y trailhead, which is only about 2 miles roundtrip, but I didn't quite make it. My calves were still aching a bit from our hike Saturday, so I chickened out before the turnoff to Oakcliff Dr. and went back to the car. I'll try it again this week I think, but that hill was causing me some problems. Lastly, I went and saw my friend Karen yesterday afternoon. She had a new baby girl on the 20th and you can see pictures of her at her very own website, created by her super-talented dad, Gary.

No comments: