Dec 1, 2011

A year ago this week...

Something I've always been grateful for (or mostly grateful for) is that I can remember things pretty vividly. I have a lot of thoughts as December begins today about the things I did the first week of December last year. Since I most likely didn't blog about any of them, I figured I could reminisce here and process the memories that way.  Without further ado, a list of the things I was doing last year:

1. My sister Erin came home to MI with us after we Thanksgivinged in Virginia. She was here for a week and it was great!  Jeff ate lots of white cheddar popcorn on the drive home from VA, I attempted to sew her a hat  out of an old sweater and then my sewing machine went crazy on us when the bobbin case kind of exploded or something. In true sister fashion I think we both almost wet our pants laughing at how the inside of that hat looked.

2. I was rehearsing for Messiah performances every other night.  Yep, doing that again this year. And it's wonderful. Tomorrow night is our last dress rehearsal before our two Ann Arbor concerts, and then next week we have three  rehearsals before our two performances in the big D.  I am a little excited to sing in Detroit, having never sung in a big city before. PS I love singing Messiah. Not only is Handel kind to altos (we do have the first line in the first chorus of the whole oratorio), it is remarkable how spiritually riveting it is for me to sing beautiful text and beautiful notes (well, they were written to be beautiful, I am making no statements about how they sound when I sing them!). I am a lucky gal.

3. I accidentally went to touch up/finish off the top of Jeff's haircut after he had done most of it and didn't bother to notice he had handed me the clippers with the guard off, ready for me to shave off his fuzzy curls that grow below where he likes them to be in the back. So he had a nice little patch of baldness somewhere in the middle of his head and then we just went all out and shaved him since we were definitely beyond and possibility of fixing things.  You'd better believe I check really closely now as to whether the guard is on or off.  I must also point out that a year ago Jeff was telling no one except 1 person (our neighbor and his office mate at school) about this. I loved him so much for that, and luckily for all of us, his hair grew back.  

4. I was taking Rebecca to the ER because we thought she swallowed a hearing aid battery.  It turns out she didn't swallow it, but I was so proud of how still she laid during her x-ray. And I learned that the UM ER staff in pediatrics is really nice, though I think I'll be alright if we don't make it there again.  

5. The same day as #4 (but of course) I was comforting my three year old Jacob who had fallen out of the cart at Sam's Club after jumping up and down excitedly after seeing a  Charlie Brown Christmas book.  I almost took him to the ER as well since I was afraid he had a concussion, but he was fine. I never want to hear the sound of a little person's body/head/whatever it was hitting the Sam's Club concrete floor again. Shudder!

6. I was remembering, as I always do this week of the year, my sweet Grandma McKoy who passed away on December 9, 2007, when Jacob was a couple months old.  Boy do I miss her.

7. I was enjoy the company of not only my sister but also David + Megan and their family since they drove up from Beavercreek for my Messiah performance and stayed for a day or so.  It was so great to have them close by for that and other occasions these past few years - and now I am missing them since they moved to California over the summer!  

8. I was having a colonoscopy a year ago this week. Everything went fine with that and the only reason I mention it here is that I was so glad Erin was here that day to help me out at the doctor while Shaunae watched my kids. I even made it to rehearsal that same night. 

9. Doing dishes.  :)  I was just thinking I better finish up this post and go do the dishes that are in my kitchen right now, and I imagine I was doing dishes at some point during this week a year ago.  

Happy Decembering and Happy Remembering!!

2 comments:

elkgrandma said...

loved the remembering on your post today - have been thinking about Mom alot this week too - hard to believe it's already been 4 years - I sure would like to talk to her again and hear her voice. Have fun singing the Messiah - I've done that too - it is so rewarding and uplifting - love you all Aunt Karen

Camber said...

Love the new picture for your blog and LOVE the bit about shaving Jeff's hair too much. I have come close to doing that very thing to Isaac. I'm very glad the trauma didn't cripple him.