Jul 27, 2010

TWD: Chewy, Chunky Blondies

I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of these. We even had some in the freezer for a few days after I baked them last week and I kept forgetting about snapping a quick photo. They didn't look as good as the photograph in Dorie's cookbook, but these are one tasty bar cookie. If you're familiar with Grandma's delicious Congo Squares recipe, this is like Congo Squares on steroids. They are amazing! I put walnuts in about half of the batter just to try them out and though I don't usually like nuts in baked goods, the walnuts added a nice depth to the flavor and I didn't mind the extra crunch. I went with the Heath toffee bits option so next time I might try the butterscotch chips to see if I like that as well. Please visit Nicole of Cookies on Friday for this simple and delicious recipe! And visit the TWD site to find out how others fared this week. Next week's choice is Gingered Carrot Cookies. Yum!

4 comments:

Cindy said...

These were good! I remember Congo Squares...

Susan said...

I'm not familiar with Grandma's Congo Squares, but if they are anything like these blondies, they must be very good indeed! :)

Pamela said...

Never heard of Congo Squares. Sounds like it may be worth checking out, though! Glad you enjoyed these!

Nicole said...

My only threat to getting a picture is my husband eating all of them before I get the camera out. I'm glad that you liked them. Thanks for baking with me this week!