Feb 15, 2010

Net Gain

Tonight I was talking to a Chinese friend of mine. We were discussing the one family/one child policy, wherein Chinese families face a fine if they have more than one child. It is not uncommon for families in some parts of China to break the law and willfully pay the fine (which for middle or upper class families is not that great). I asked my friend if she lived in China if she would have more than one child. She said no, but not because of the law. She said that the costs of having children is too great.
I told her that she was very right--the gross cost of having and raising children is very large. But, I also told her that the net cost was negative, and that, indeed, I believed children produced a net gain. Unfortunately, since the upside of the transaction is measured in happiness and joy, and the downside in dollars and cents (and work, effort, and sacrifice), the calculus of childing is often not fully comprehended by those not engaged in it. I imagine I will come to understand this even better as mine grow up a bit more. But, as of now, we are at a net gain on both transactions.

2 comments:

Owner of the Band said...

I totally agree with you, Stac. I am all about the great love that these baby's bring to our life. When it comes to babies, I stick to one of my favorite sayings, "Why under do, what you can over do!" I just love it. I can't believe how much happier we got after we had our second. I can only imagine that keeps growing.

BrittWilk said...

well said. i definitely agree. though i think i'll believe myself more that i agree if i get to bed earlier tonight. ha!