Dec 16, 2008

Thoughts on the Education Secretary Nominee

Tonight I saw a link to this article and figured I'd better read it, since, after all, I have spent a little bit of time (more time than I planned on, by far) learning about education and instructional things in an academic setting. In my roles as both mother and graduate student, let's just say I give a hoot about who the Secretary of Education is. Before I share any thoughts I have about Obama's pick for this Cabinet position I should probably point out that I don't know Arne Duncan, had never heard of him until tonight, and my opinions were formed fairly quickly as I read up on the man just now. So here are a few things I learned that were of interest. First of all, this guy is young. Not my age or anything, but he was born in 1964. He grew up in Chicago and when he was younger helped his mom at the tutoring center that she runs in the city. He has never been a teacher, has a degree from Harvard (sociology), and a couple honorary doctorates from schools I'd never heard of. He played basketball while at Harvard then played professionally in Australia. When he came back to the states in the 90s he started working in schools in Chicago and has risen to be the CEO of Chicago Public Schools fairly quickly I'd say. Obama mentions in the article that "When it comes to school reform, Arne is the most hands-on of hands-on practitioners," but in just reading Nominee Duncan's bio on the Chicago Schools webpage and his Wikipedia article, I couldn't find anything specifically that he had done that was "hands-on." Also, I wonder how many school reformers Obama actually knows? What concerns do I have? Mr. Duncan has never been a teacher, and while this doesn't need to be a requirement for someone to be the Secretary of Education, I think when you are in that position and you can understand more fully the plight of the people putting your policies into action, it gives you a good perspective. Another concern is that I have more schooling that this gentleman. And by that I am not trying to toot my own horn at all, but what I mean is that I don't think that a sociology degree (which I have) necessarily provides someone with the expertise needed for the nation's biggest position for educational reform. Certainly he's been in educational posts for a while now, but it does give me pause nonetheless. Anyone have thoughts on this or other Cabinet position announcements?

4 comments:

Erin said...

Obama did say he would bring change.
Perhaps he did not specify "change" as well as he should have. I'd like to nominate you for Education Secretary.

Perhaps education isn't the only sort of experience that is vital to being a successful leader but it seems to me that the Education Secretary should have obtained as much education as possible. It seems not so much hypocritical as perhaps ironic. I guess we'll see about the next 4 years...

Jeff said...

I dont know anything about him, but none of the things you mention bother me much.

I would rather he had never been a teacher. His job has almost nothing to do with what a teacher actually does. To suggest his not being a teacher is a bad thing is analogous to saying someone cant be the CEO for Ford unless they have welded cars, or the Secretary of Energy if they have never been a coal miner.

More schooling might be good, but, it is not necessary at all. A person needs as much education as they need to do the job they want to do. If you want to be a neurosurgeon, you are going to be in "school" for 12+4+4+2+8 or so years. However, if you want to be the CEO of a small start up that ends up creating some of the wealthiest men on earth, you may only want a high school diploma.

The first thing I thought when I read about him is that he is from Chicago. I think there is something dirty going down there, and that if the media wants it to, it will soon come out. Something is brewing in the windy city.

It also bothers me that he OKed a gay high school. I am not proud of a supporter of Pride School, or whatever it is named.

stacey said...

1. I found some info on him today while I was reading about Time's Person of the Year (Barry O). Had to dig a little for it.

2. No, it doesn't need to be a requirement that he be a teacher before having this important post, but it would make for a more charming, rags-to-riches type story. Like how John Edwards always talked about his dad being a mill worker. So very liberal.

3. I also think that something fishy is going on in Chicago.

4. This guy appears to view education as a civil rights issue. I don't know what I think about that.

4. In the end, I am not very good at making points about things like this. I hope he doesn't shake things up too much just to be noticed or something. I think what parents do matters much more than what Mr. Duncan could ever do, but so many parents don't care. That's the real problem.

Thank you both for your thoughts. And, Erin, if the Senate backs you up, I accept.

E said...

AMEN!