Dec 14, 2008

Wikipedia

So, I have edited Wikipedia before, many times. I find little inaccuracies or things I don't like or that have been framed in a way I disagree with, and I change it. Usually, these edits are only a couple words, or demanding a citation for something, or something else minor. However, today, I made my first major edit to Wikipedia. And by major, I mean a paragraph. I was reading the Wikipedia article on Olives this morning when I noticed that under the history of olives it did not mention the Bible. It mentioned Greek mythology and other such things, but not the Bible. Olives are a big deal in the Bible, and the Bible is a big deal when considering the history of anything in that region. When I see such omissions, I seem to always think they are not unintentional, so act quickly to correct them. So, I added a paragraph. Not only did I add a paragraph, but it has a reference. Not only does it have a reference, but the reference contains a link to a book on Google Books. I was obviously slightly proud of this little paragraph of mine. You can read my paragraph here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive Interestingly, since this morning, two paragraphs have been added to the history section about olives. Wikipedia is alive, well, and constantly evolving.

1 comment:

the firths said...

I'm impressed. That paragraph needed to be there.