Dec 5, 2008

Game Theory and Eternity

So, I was in Econ 602 several weeks back, and we were studying a type of game in game theory in which the game is repeated indefinitely (well named, an infinite game, as opposed to a finite game, which ends at some point). One thing you see in game theory is if the different parties to the game will come to a mutual beneficial cooperative agreement, which benefits both parties. Many times, the answer is no, as is the case in the famous prisoner's dilemma game, which is a very simple and often presented result of game theory. In any event, my professor said something which really hit me. He said something to the effect of, "In most cases, cooperation is not possible in finite game. Cooperation only occurs in infinite games." In the end, this is an important concept. In game theory it is true because of math, the size of one's delta, and other crazy stuff. In life, it is true because if we really believe we are going to have some sort of eternal relationship with someone, we will cooperate. I know the game is infinite, and I hope to act accordingly.

1 comment:

the firths said...

I'm glad you posted this, because I was thinking tangential to this issue all week. This is a valuable addition to my thoughts.

The rules and principles one should live by are governed by the world one lives in. Things can progress very quickly if you can find out what world you live in. If you're given the rules and principles, you can then interpolate what world you live in. The gospel's great because it give both simultaneously and sets you up for a win.