Jul 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July! and A Benefit of Living Downtown

So, I don't have any pictures to document my and Jacob's excursion this morning, but suffice it to say that I am a fan, especially on July 4th, of living in downtown Provo. Sure, it might be strange to tell people directions to our house "between the pawn shop and the motel" instead of something like "We live next to the big white house" or something like that. But all in all, we've loved our little home these past 10 months, and I was reminded of this when Jacob and I walked 4 blocks to enjoy the Grand Parade this morning and made it home while everyone else seemed to be preparing for an arduous journey back to their cars. Happy Independence Day, especially to Jeff, who is just having an everyday, average fourth of the month over in Italy. :) Other things we have planned:
  • - read the Declaration of Independence, as we do every year
  • - finish making fireworks cupcakes that look like the one above
  • -possibly go see a performance at the Provo Tabernacle of "We the People" put on by the Crandall Historic Printing Museum
  • - go to my sister's house & her neighborhood party this afternoon and have dinner there and play with cute nieces and nephew
  • - watching Stadium of Fire fireworks late tonight from the insulated car so Jacob doesn't scream and wail
  • - begin the countdown to my birthday, as I secretly do every year (it's one month from today)
I'm excited for the rest of our day; it should be fun!

9 comments:

Destination Davis said...

Your cupcakes were awesome and thanks for coming, I had a blast watching Jacob and Tys enjoy each other's company.

Paige said...

The Provo parade is definitely the BEST around! Next year I may fight traffic and make my way down there!

Ashley said...

You're so lucky to be in Provo on the Fourth. We sure missed it! Especially the hot-air balloons. Did they fly again this year? That was my absolute favorite thing---to wake up the morning of the Fourth and see the balloons floating majestically and serenely through the air ... such a magical sight. I'm glad your little guy did okay with the fireworks. My theory is that they are just so beyond anything the babies have yet experienced in life, that they can't help but stare in complete awe. So adorable.

Kelsey said...

Did you really make those cupcakes? Did they turn out like the picture?! If they did you are amazing, I'm so lucky to have been your roommate.

stacey said...

Ashley, we went to the balloons on the 3rd and got there a little late, so I went again on the 5th and absolutely loved it. Magical is the right word! Jeff had to miss it of course but I assured him that I would be okay if we owned a balloon someday. I avoided the crowds on the 4th and opted to sleep in that day. :)

Oh, Kelsey, if only my cupcakes had looked like the one in the picture. I'll try again next year with stiffer frosting. The instructions didn't specify how stiff it needed to be so I'll see if that works better next time around. They were still cute, but I was a tiny bit disappointed. At least I can maybe still claim the Heidi Homemaker status in your eyes with those awesome pillows I helped you hand sew for Paul back in 2003, right? Ha!

Dee and Bob said...

I love that you guys read the Declaration of Independence...that is so cool. The Cupcakes turned out great! Too cute to eat. :)

BrittWilk said...

i can't believe you made those cupcakes, stace! you're my hero!

Sara said...

Ok...lost your e-mail address...so I'm posting here! We seriously can't believe you're moving into our old place! How cool is that?! Let me know what your move-in date is and we'll have the crew there to help. Welcome to the ward!

ctarbet said...

I love the Provo July 4th parade. I have really fond memories of visiting my grandparents during the summer and attending the parade, it really is my favorite!