So this Saturday morning Jeff Boyd I hiked up Provo Peak. It is a peak that is behind Y mountain, by Lightening and Cascade Peaks, near Rock Canyon Campground. You get there driving up past Hope campground, and it is a pretty neat drive. You are just driving up behind all the Mountains that border Provo, and it is neat. It was about 2.7 miles round trip hike, and we gained about 2700 feet. It was a steeeeep climb. The trail was a little hard to follow, so we ended up just wandering around for a while. Several interesting things occurred:
1.When we got to the trailhead, we saw a guy putting on some hiking boots. There was a two or so year old next to him. Jeff Boyd commented that he should have brought his 1 year old, but that perhaps she was too young. We heard some giggling from the guys tent, and he explained that he and his wife were hiking it, and they were taking the 2 year old and the three month old. And, they did. They made it up to the top about the same time we did. What troopers.
2. I got to use the binoculars that I got from my favorite parents in law for my birthday. They were amazing. It was really cool to just sit at the top of the peak and peer at things. I could see people on the top of Squaw Peak, could see the 6*6 hut on the top of Timpanogos, and many other interesting things. I even took a picture of Squaw Peak through the lens of my binoculars, shown here. It was neat.
3. I took lots of panoramas. Here are some of them. I think they are pretty neat. I dont know why, but Blogger pixilates them a lot. Anyways. It was a really cool mountain, and a fun hike.
4. We took a GPS that was loaned to us by Scott Summers. It was really neat to see where we were going, how far we had gone, how high we were, and all that. Hopefully, I will soon be able to post the map of our route up here soon. If anyone wants to get me a GPS, feel free to send it to me. Post a comment requesting my mailing address. Here is the condensed (the full version is 800 lines long) summery of our trip up to the top, thanks to the GPS:
That is all. It was a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment