Today is our sixth anniversary. A lot can happen in six years and the usual ups and downs of life are always there, but it has been great to be on this journey together. I am so lucky I get to spend eternity with Jeff!
Backing up a bit, this was 6 years and three months ago. It was cold, thus I am wearing Jeff's coat, it was Downtown Salt Lake City, and yes he is holding a ring on his finger that was about to be on my finger. Right after our carriage driver took the picture I asked Jeff "What was your hand doing up by my face? That will look so weird." Ha!
There are almost no cars in this parking lot. There are pretty much always cars in that parking lot, but when the temple is unexpectedly closed due to a power outage (and there are floods on the roads you use to get there), they have to turn people away, even a bus of people who came from Puerto Rico. They'll turn you away unless you were one of 4 couples scheduled to be sealed that day; they'll let you stay. You are trying to figure out what to do because maybe only your parents can attend your sealing and no one else. A sealing by lantern light? What about all those people who flew from so far? Mom says "we're still having a party tonight no matter what!" And Grandpa jokingly chimes in, "You could always go on the honeymoon first!" And then, a miracle: the lights come back on, right as you and your soon-to-be spouse are heading outside alone to discuss things. You hear the groaning sound behind you as the automatic doors switch back on. You have the chance to have all of those people there for your temple marriage. Your future mother in-law is crying tears of joy because all of her children will be in the temple together, just as she'd hoped. And the cloudy morning turns into a most glorious day with blue skies and plenty of sunshine!
I remember distinctly feeling that despite all of the craziness of that morning, when the lights came back on I was thinking: Light prevails. Regardless of what the world says about marriage or raising children or any of the myriad ways that Satan can attack families and couples and individuals: Light will prevail. It has prevailed, and it will continue to prevail.
I still love my dress, the blue hydrangeas, and the yellow and blue together. I still love the temple. I especially love going with Jeff. I love that we made up acronyms for things when we were dating but we can't remember what they stand for. I love seeing Jeff so happy as he prepares for his future duties as a professor and researcher. I love our children and I love that I can just be myself around Jeff and that we can both laugh when I say really ridiculous things when I fail at trying to say something witty (he is great at it). I love the life we are building together and I'm so grateful for the amazing support he has given me, particularly in this last year.
Happy sixth anniversary to the greatest guy I know!
|
3 comments:
Wow! What a wedding story! I've not heard one quite like it!
Happy Anniversary J and S!
I remember that rain...it put our community garden under 6 feet of water for a week. IT was the last time I tried gardening. I was in KY and when I came home EVERYTHING was dead:) I am so glad that the the lights came back on for you. It is funny that you explained why there were no cars because that was the FIRST thing I noticed. I was like how did they get all of the cars too move?:)
Awesome wedding story, awesome post. I LOVE that picture of you with the temple in the background. Stunning!
Post a Comment