Jul 28, 2009

TWD: Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream

So this week I was supposed to make Vanilla Ice Cream. It looked great, it looked creamy, custardy and downright unhealthy. I was thrilled. But, Jacob has been lovin' his milk lately, drinking a bit more than usual, and upon realizing that there was not nearly enough whole milk to get the job done, I opted to make the ice cream a few pages later. The bonus was that I got to use up more of our blueberries. It is almost time to go pick loads more of them, that's for sure. Apologies to the TWD group, but I just didn't want to go to the store just for milk. So I didn't. But I'll make it sometime - 6 egg yolks? Yes, that sounds delicious.
Here is the recipe I used:
Blueberry-Sour Cream Ice Cream 1 C blueberries, fresh or if frozen, thawed and drained 1/3 C sugar Zest and juice of 1/4 lemon (I used about a Tablespoon or less of just juice) Pinch of salt Heat the above in a saucepan until boiling and berries begin to pop/burst. Pour into blender and puree well for a minute or so. Add to blender and then pulse to mix well: 3/4 C heavy cream 3/4 C sour cream Add more sugar or lemon juice as needed (mine was fine, but taste it to see for sure). Chill custard mix in fridge, then transfer to ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. After it is done in ice cream maker, pour into a freezer safe container/bowl and freeze for about 2 hours. Makes about 1 pint.
Recipe from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From my home to yours
The verdict?
My vote: I thought this was amazing. I loved it, thought it was creamy, and I agreed with Dorie that it tasted like summer in a bowl. Just great.
Jeff's vote: He said it tasted too much like the sour cream.
Luckily my husband really will eat just about anything I make, but the really good news is that if I make this again - I will get to eat all of it. Maybe?
It is great with blueberry cobbler, of course, as shown in the picture. But even if you don't have homemade cobbler handy, go make this. Today. For dinner.

No comments: