Aug 9, 2008

Things left undone in Provo

So, we are on the road headed to Ann Arbor. This means that we have left Provo, not to return for a long time. I spent 5 years as a student in Provo, and they were very good years. I am very pleased with what I did there, from finding a wife and having a child, to preparing for a mission and getting a college degree. However, there are several things that I did not do while in Provo that I wish I would have. Some I am ashamed to have not done, others merely regretful. Hopefully those of you who still live around there might take the opportunity to do a couple of these things, to live my unfulfilled dream. Here they are:

1. Hike Mt. Timpanogos. From the time I started at BYU, I have hiked the highest peaks in four states, ID, AZ, CO and UT. I hiked the Grand Canyon from North to South Rim, and hiked many other things. However, the most hiked mountain in Utah, the peak that anyone in Provo who has any inclination to being willing to exert effort to climb up a mountain has hiked, I never hiked. I had several opportunities, had several plans with several different people to do it, but never did it. Sigh.

2. Go to the Manti Temple. I went to many of the other temples in Utah, but, despite making three serious attempts at the temple (two it was closed when we arrived, and one I got lost on the way and ended up in Price.) So, that will have to be done at some later date.

3. Drive the Nebo Scenic Route in the fall. Apparently, the colors are supposed to be spectacular, and the drive very pleasant. I have driven half of it a couple times, but never in the fall, and never all of it (at least, in daylight).

4. Mountain Bike off the lifts up at Sundance. I am not a bike Mt. Biker, but I think I would have enjoyed this.

5. Go on the Green River rafting trip that Outdoors Unlimited offers in the summer. It sound fun, and is a good deal.

6. Hiked Mt. Nebo with Outdoors Unlimited in the winter. I hiked it twice in the summer, but would really like to do it in the winter with all the winter gear and such.

7. Visited my Uncle who lives in Heber. He moved there a year ago. I biked up to his house and saw him once when he was in the process of building his house, but I never went back and saw him again.

8. Kayak down the Provo River. I brought a Kayak from Soda Springs to use, but never did it.

9. Volunteer at the MTC. I went there once to try, and they said that they had too many volunteers that day, but to please come back. Since, they have called several times, and they have e-mailed once a week, but I never went again.

10. Tour the Kennecott Copper Mine. I lived for 7 years in Globe, AZ, a copper mining town, and toured the open pit mines there. It is cool. I wish I would have seen the ones just north of point of the mountain.

11. Hike many more of the little peaks. There are dozens of cool hikes to do just around Utah Valley, and while I did a few, there are far more left undone than I did.

12. Go to the Salt Lake. I went once when I was little, and faintly remember it. I wish I would have gone again and checked it out.

13. Camp on Antelope Island State Park. I never went, and I wish I would have. So, there are a few of the things I wish I would have done. I will visit Provo again, and may do a few of them, but, I sure wish I would have done them whilst a resident.

3 comments:

Myrna said...

Ashamed? I think not. You did the important things. I couldn't be more pleased.

Jeff Boyd said...

It's uncanny how many of the things on your list are also on my list of things left undone in Provo. We should have done them together! Also on my list are to visit the Nutty Putty cave (though I understand it is closed to the public now), hike King's peak, and attend a dutch oven cook-off. We wanted to do more camping as well. Perhaps fate will allow us another opportunity to fulfill these dreams?

Carolyn said...

It was so good to see you last weekend, Stacey! And I hope we will run into each other again. I'll be so interested to hear how this next year goes in Ann Arbor. I wish you (and Jeff!) good luck!