Aug 9, 2008

Fear

I remember well back when I lived in Globe, AZ and was in the Junior High. I played both football and wrestling – two sports that require a great deal of physical endurance. Given the physical rigors of the sports, the practices are often very physically difficult. For example, I remember football practice where we would scrimmage hard, we would do tackling practice, we would run sprints, laps, do bear craws and up downs, push-ups and sit-ups, and all other forms of physical training. I remember dreading these practices every day. I would get a sick feeling in my stomach, a feeling of dread and wondering if I would be able to survive the practice. I enjoyed football, and played for 6 years, starting on whatever squad I was on each year, but always dreaded practice. Up through my senior year of football, I would feel a little sick at the end of each school day, knowing that after class, practice would come and I would be worked hard.

I am, at heart, a very scared person. Anyone who knows me well knows that I often get very anxious about things, especially difficult things that I will be required to do. Regardless of my knowledge of how I will do these things, or my past experience with them, I often get scared. This fear extended even to non-physical things, and before every semester at BYU I would be scared, wondering if this would be the semester that I was found out and failed all my classes. This fear drove me to act irrationally, dropping several classes and changing teachers at the last minute.

I am currently in the car headed for Michigan, where I will be going to school. From all accounts, it is a very difficult thing to do. And, as with everything else, I am very scared. My stomach feels a little bit uneasy. I know of my problem, but despite my rational ability to understand what happens to me, I cannot overcome my irrational fear. And, that is that.

1 comment:

Myrna said...

You will do amazingly well. I hate you being so far away but you always do so well, so talented and so smart. Today Taylor told me, "you know, Uncle Jeff is very very funny but he is really smart too. How does he do that?"