Perhaps an actual account of a conversion could be helpful to see how these principles work in us to produce this miracle of conversion. Some years ago when I was a relatively new convert to the Church, I was living in Arlington, Virginia, surrounded by nonmember families. Within a one-week period, two new families moved into my neighborhood. One was located directly behind my home and the other was directly across the street in front of it. I was working for the U.S. Department of Agriculture at the time, and my assignment caused me to do much traveling. I was away about one-half of the time.I came home one Friday evening and found that I had a new neighbor across my backyard fence and that he had cut a hole in my chain link fence and installed a gate in it. Now, I considered this a very neighborly act. He had not charged me for the gate; in fact, I had never even met the man, so I went over to his home to get acquainted with him and tell him how much I appreciated the gate in my fence. I have found that if you consider everyone you meet a potential member of the Church, it will temper your response to certain stimuli you receive from time to time. You cannot afford to offend anyone. When you offend, you lose. The Lord uses the expression “in mildness and in meekness” (D&C 38:41) to express the way we are to tell people about the Church.
The new neighbor’s name was McKoy. He was from North Carolina and, sure enough, he had a lot of great qualities that would make him a tremendous Latter-day Saint. To enumerate a few, he was a salesman by trade, and a good salesman, too. He really knew how to close a sale. I have found in my experience that good salesmen have little or no sales resistance whatsoever. If you have a good product to sell or promote, a good salesman is a prime prospective buyer.
Also, this new neighbor was easy to talk to—a gregarious individual. This is always a good sign; frankness and forthrightness usually bespeak basic honesty, which must exist if a witness is to be borne to the heart. In addition, he was the head of his family. He audibly and obviously presided over his family. I remember remarking to my wife after that first visit with my new neighbor that he was a good man and that he would join the Church.
I became vitally involved with the McKoy family. Every time I observed him doing anything contrary to the principles of the gospel, I’d talk to him about it. For instance, one Sunday morning I came out of my house on the way to priesthood meeting and found my new neighbor planting strawberries in his backyard. I leaned over the backyard fence and said, “Mac, all of your strawberry plants will die.” Surprised, he wanted to know why. “Because you are planting them on the Sabbath. You can’t expect strawberry plants to live that are planted on the Sabbath.” Mac laughed heartily at such a ridiculous notion, but they all died—every one of them.
Some time later I took occasion to ask Mac about his strawberries. He said, “I can’t understand it. They all died.”
I said, “Remember what I told you? That they would all die? You couldn’t expect those plants to live, being planted on the Sabbath.”
Mac considered that statement for a moment and said, “You work for the Department of Agriculture, don’t you?”
Mac decided his strawberry plants had been cursed—he had made many successful Sabbath-day plantings in the past; why did this one fail? As I think about it, I felt impelled to tell him his strawberry plants would not live. I am persuaded that the Lord took care of those plants. I have found that the Lord loves to stand behind his servants and he does it at every opportunity.
Some time later Mac told me he had just thrown two elders from his church out of his home. I asked him why. He said, “They came to collect my contribution pledge.” I asked what that was and he indicated it was his practice to pledge a certain amount of money to his church each year. This year he didn’t feel he could contribute the amount he had pledged, so the elders from his church had come to encourage him. Mac had been offended and asked them to leave his home.
Now, it might appear that this would not be the best time to speak of tithing to Mac McKoy, but for some reason I felt impressed to pursue the subject. I said, “Mac, did you know that ten percent of what you earn does not belong to you?” Mac didn’t understand so I continued. “Ten percent of your earnings belong to the Lord.”
Mac said, “Tell me about tithing, would you please?” I didn’t know at the time, but Mac told me much later that he had been praying to the Lord to understand tithing, wondering how he could possibly pay tithing when he was already spending ten percent more than he earned.
I took occasion to tell Mac everything I knew about tithing. Among other things, I told him President Heber J. Grant’s story about the Sunday School teacher who took ten big red apples into her little Junior Sunday School class and asked how many of her pupils would return one apple to her if she gave them all ten apples. Every member of the class responded enthusiastically in the affirmative. The teacher then likened this analogy to the payment of tithing where the Lord gives each of us everything we have but only asks for one-tenth of it to be returned to him. President Grant added, “What most of us do is cut the tenth apple in half, hold up one half to the Lord, and ask him to take a bite.” I said to Mac, “It seems to me you fit the illustration. You’re only offering the Lord a small bite.”
Mac thought about this situation and finally said, “Yes, I can understand that. I believe what you say is true.”
Well, when Mac said he believed in paying tithing, I knew he was ready to hear the message of the restoration, so I said, “Mac, there are going to be two young men from the Church in my home next Thursday evening. They have come all the way from Salt Lake City, Utah, to talk to you about the Church. We have just been scratching the surface in our conversations about the gospel over the past six months, but they will give you the full story. Why don’t you bring your wife Betty and your four children and come over? Besides, when we finish with our discussion we’re going to have a nice dessert.” I knew he couldn’t turn down dessert.
Well, Mac came. I’m not sure whether he came for dessert or not, but he came and brought his wife and his four children. The missionaries did a great job in presenting the first proselyting discussion. Surely the Lord speaks through 19-year-old young men and he speaks eloquently. Mac and his family were tremendously impressed with these missionaries. My wife had also invited the new neighbor who had moved in across the street, so we had both families together in our living room for the missionary proselyting discussions.
The meetings went forward each Thursday evening for six weeks. After the third meeting, both of the investigator families asked to be baptized. I had the privilege of baptizing Mac, his wife Betty, and his two daughters. As I recall, we confirmed Mac a member of the Church and then ordained him a teacher. I remember telling Mac that if he would really apply himself, he would be able to baptize his son Bob, who would be baptismal age in nine months. This appealed to Mac. He wanted to be the spiritual leader of his family. As a matter of fact, I have never met or known a man who did not want to be the leader of his family. It is a God-given right.
So Mac prepared himself and did in fact baptize his son nine months later. A short time after he baptized his son, he was ordained an elder and was called on a stake mission. Mac baptized 28 people his first year as a stake missionary. He had friends all over town. He would call on friends and invite them to accompany him to a baptismal service. He wanted them to feel the special spirit of such an occasion. I’ve heard him introduce his friends as “investigators.” His friends didn’t even know what an investigator was, but they surely received special attention from all involved in the baptismal service. Those who are attending Church for the first time surely need to feel the love and special concern of the members.
Mac has continued to bring his friends and acquaintances into the Church. Since he and his family were baptized 15 years ago, he has personally baptized 112 people into the Church. He is a real estate broker by trade, and, when he picks up a good family in his business pursuits who are in the market to buy a home, he endeavors to locate them in his ward. He is precisely honest with them with respect to the home they buy, which they always appreciate. When moving time arrives, Mac arranges through the bishop for assistance from the ward priesthood quorums. Food is brought into the home by the Latter-day Saint neighbors. Help in locating schools, shopping areas, bus schedules, getting utilities turned on, and newspapers delivered comes through the local seventies quorum members at Mac’s request. When it comes time for the new family to begin attending Church, it is quite natural for Mac to take them, where they also meet their new neighborhood friends. In a short time, a new family has experienced the miracle of conversion and is baptized.
It is most interesting to see the real changes that have taken place in the McKoy family in general and in Mac in particular. First, the McKoy family is now an eternal family unit, having been sealed for time and eternity in the house of the Lord by the same authority that Jesus gave to Peter. Not only are they bound on earth but are also bound in heaven. Mac still presides over his family, but now with persuasion, tenderness, kindness, and love unfeigned.
Second, those two daughters have both married returned missionaries in the temple. Third, the oldest son, Bob, is serving in the mission field as an ambassador of the Lord Jesus Christ, a full-time missionary. Fourth, the next son, Steve, is soon to depart on his mission. Fifth, there is a fifth child, Tina, a bonus on Mac’s membership in the Church, because he learned the object and design of his creation. Sixth, Mac is a high priest and is a temple worker in the Washington Temple. Seventh, Mac has taught early morning seminary for the past eight years, where he has touched the lives of hundreds of young church members in the northern Virginia area. Eighth, I have heard Mac bear his testimony in testimony meeting that he gives more to the Church in one month today than was his whole annual pledge to his former church, and he had asked the elders of his former church to leave his home when they came to collect his pledge.
It is amazing what a man will do if he knows the Lord wants him to do it. I care not who it is. If you can manifest to almost any man what the Lord wants him to do and he knows it, he will come very, very close to performing the act. I believe this is true primarily because all men are offspring of the same Heavenly Father and we all react similarly to the same given stimulus. Mac is not the same man he was. He is converted, which is the fundamental qualification for citizenship in the kingdom of God and, coupled with endurance, is the guarantee of eternal life. May it be so with us all.
Jun 30, 2008
Swapping Stories
When we were in Idaho last weekend, I had the chance to meet Jeff's grandma for the first time. It was fun to talk with her, to hear her talk about her children and grandchildren and how proud she is of them. She just loved Jacob so much and that was really special. She kept talking about how good he was, how "he just never bawls!," and that he was so smart because he figured out one of those push-the-characters-down and make them pop back up again kinds of toys. Anyways, it was really great to spend time with Grandma, who will soon have surgery to replace her hip with a trusty new one so she won't be in so much pain. Her husband, Ed, just recently passed away, and she misses him very much.
One of the things she asked me about was if my folks were lifelong members of the Church. I told her yes, but that three of my four grandparents were baptized. I am, of course, extremely grateful and blessed to have the gospel in my life for so many reasons, one of those reasons is in Italy now and I miss him terribly, and the other is pictured above playing with bubbles. My own grandparents' examples of devotion and faith in Jesus Christ is something I try to emulate, and I am also grateful for the examples of Jeff's grandparents and the sacrifices they made to raise their children in righteousness so that Jeff could have that same blessing from his parents.
Naturally this conversation led to me telling Grandma a couple stories about how my grandparents all joined the church, one of which I will share here, borrowing words from this 1975 Ensign article written by Elder Hartman Rector, Jr., and from my dad's older brother, my Uncle Bob. (Click on the picture to read the words. Some of you are readers of my aunt's blog and already saw the picture there.) This is a really long excerpt from the article, but in essence, this is how a part of my own conversion story begins. Mac is my grandfather, and Steve is my father.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you for the beautiful story of our family "pioneers." I had the opportunity to teach the FHE lesson on our family Pioneers. This adds to the thoughts we shared Monday eve. Thanks, Stace!!!
Post a Comment