Sep 10, 2007

A whirlwind couple of weeks!

Well, it has been an exciting couple of weeks since I last posted. Of course I think the highlight was that we moved into our new place. My sisters were over for a bit Sunday night and they asked how Jeff liked it and he said, more or less, “It’s alright. I wanted a swimming pool. Or a ball gym.” Despite it lacking those two things, we ARE pleased with the place and are excited that this will be where we bring our baby after he is born! Yay. I will busy myself on Monday with setting up the nursery corner some more and I am also concerning myself with what outfit to pack in the hospital bag for the baby to come home in. Thanks to kind gifts and hand me downs, I have lots to choose from. I realize this isn’t that important of a decision to make, but it is certainly something to be EXCITED about. ☺ This past week we started the new semester, as many of you are aware already, and I really wish I were already done with my master’s. It has taken a lot of time to settle down with a project topic and I honestly finally feel comfortable, totally comfortable, with what I am going to do. I never would have guessed that I would, in some ways, become so passionate about literacy after coming from a social science background. Anyways, I wish I could have finished already but feel like the issue of this taking so long will be a blessing in the end because I will be able to be a better mother (I think) with the knowledge I gain doing literacy research related to reading aloud to children. I hope all of you that are mothers and fathers read to your kids. So does Jim Trelease. One minor highlight of the week was our Instructional Psychology & Technology graduate department’s opening seminar for Fall semester, at which they serve lunch each year. I went for the food; I won’t lie. For the third year in a row it was the exact same meal layout, with its components perhaps known by all who enjoyed the Cannon Center fare of 6 years ago (or more recently if you are like me and occasionally have returned!): - Rocky Mountain Ribs - Little sandwiches - Éclairs - Cream puffs - Rotini pasta salad - Fruit/vegetable tray Okay, well the only thing that was usually served in the CANC were the Rocky Mountain ribs. I still like them and was excited that the department secretary was not given permission to change the menu this year. The department chair told her she couldn’t, even though she wanted to. I always knew I liked Dr. Gibbons.

1 comment:

rochelle said...

Good luck finishing your research! I have been wondering how you are liking your new place, and your new ward! Are you going to a student ward for your area, or the family ward, or the singles ward that Jeff is at? I hope it is great!